1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Upgrade today or wait...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by andruoid, Nov 11, 2014.

1. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

Bit of a story; First of all, I have a Nexus 4 and the better half has an iPhone 5 (I know, I know, she needs it for work! ;-) ) Anyway, we feel our son is old enough now to own a phone. I'm thinking of giving him my Nexus 4 and going for something new. Maybe a LG G3, Sony Z3 or Moto X. My better-half might also be upgrading, not to the iPhone 6 as its ludicrous in price.

If we do this we'll all be switching carriers which means paying out about $200 in contract fees. I've been with this specific carrier for 12 years now, signal and speed is lacking and its time to jump ship. The above pay out would be worth it.

Back to my upgrade. I'm in huge debate as per normal there are pros and cons I must weigh. The G3 and Z3 have sd card slots which I would prefer. However, the Moto X seems to be getting top reviews but, doesn't have expandable memory. Screen resolution is tops on the G3 in terms of resolution and the other 2 aren't anything to turn down either. Can anyone who has one of these 3, or other recommendation please chime in. Basically looking for something I wont regret getting in 2+ years. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

I have the original Moto X and I am also planning on getting a new phone in the very near future. I have looked at and played with each of the phones you mention and none would make you unhappy. For me I will either be getting the new Moto X or the Nexus 6. I am waiting to decide until I can play with (read that as see how stupid big it is) the new Nexus.

I prefer stock Android and the Moto X also adds a lot of additional functions that actually matter in day to day use. For me it's a no-brainer that it will be one of these 2 phones. I'm also a huge fan of Motorola's radios, they (in my opinion) work the best as a phone of any android I have had.

Hope this helps.

andruoid likes this.
  3. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

Didn't go for it today, way too busy in the mall outlets. I did play with the LG G3 and Sony Z3. The new Moto X is only available on my current carrier, who i will be leaving. So, if anything it confirmed that the G3 will be the way to go, beautiful phone, I'll be getting that model for sure.