• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade today!!!

I was in the same boat, and did go for the Nexus. However, I did wrestle with that choice all day before pulling the trigger. The Thunderbolt is still a very good phone (for people with problem-free ones), and that's not even if you root the phone. So it's really hard to justify most of the newer phones, other than the upgraded processors, and a couple of the screens on some of them. If you're happy with the phone, it might be worth waiting a little longer for the next batch of ICS models, to see where they are :)

Upvote 0
I'm eligible for an upgrade next week but don't see anything worth jumping on. The only thing that interests me is the Razr Maxx due to them being able to stuff a 3300 mAh battery in it. I'm more of an HTC fan though so I think I'm going to wait it out for a bit and hope the HTC follows the example set by Motorola.

Upvote 0
havent seen anything other than the quad core concept thing. i have a feeling we are going to see a bunch more phones during the MWC at the end of February

I hope so

I have had an upgrade available for a month and one coming up in another month and have no desire to give up this TBolt for anything currently out there.

Now that I downgraded to the original GB update and rooted I feel the exact same way.... I love my thunderbolt again :D

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm eligible in about a week, but after seeing the Tegra 3 in action on the Transformer Prime, ill hold off for something with ICS stock and a quad core CPU.

Then you'll be pissed you didn't wait a little longer. Read in entirety:
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/480878-cortexa9-vs-tegra-3-a.html

Doesn't look like quad core (or at least the Tegra 3) is going to best any next generation flagship dual core processors coming in the not that far off future.

Our upgrade kicks in tomorrow. I'm keeping my Tbolt and going to wait for the Droid 4 for my wife because she still wants a physical keyboard. I'm sure she'd be perfectly happy with a Droid 3 but I want to see how the Droid4/Razor stacks up against my old trusty bolt with AOSP.

Reactions: quest7
Upvote 0
YESSSSSS!!! I love the kick stand! It's the best feature ever!!!

I would have to say the Trackball/pad is the best feature ever... while yes on my Incredible I may not have used it all the time but when I did it was invaluable (but that is just me :D)... I was sad to see the ThunderBolt or any other new android phone did not have one, but 4G helped with that sadness lol

Upvote 0
Then you'll be pissed you didn't wait a little longer. Read in entirety:
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/480878-cortexa9-vs-tegra-3-a.html

Doesn't look like quad core (or at least the Tegra 3) is going to best any next generation flagship dual core processors coming in the not that far off future.

http://www.androidauthority.com/qua...vs-ti-omap-4470-vs-samsung-exynos-4212-26636/

There's some more reading.

I'm not sure what part of that thread explained why quad core isn't beneficial. The S4, should be a beast, but, without a real world test its still speculation comparing less nm vs. the 5th core route Nvidia elected.

Also, the Prime as shipped is only using 2 cores, plus the 5th, optimized core. Ive forced all the cores on, and its very, very impressive. The potential of quadcore processors is in its infancy, kind of like dual core about this time last year. Now you can't get a flagship, single core phone.

With no more 1yr contracts, I want the most future proof phone I can get, and that will undoubtedly be quad core.

Upvote 0
Anybody sticking with HTC after their Thunderbolt?

I'm not due for an upgrade until November. My intention is to stick with HTC as I've had their phones for years and I like them. I'm curious to see what will be available by November! Quad-core will like be the norm by then but I'm also curious to see where Google takes Android. Will Android 5.0 be released by then? Who knows?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones