• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade vs. buy now

hammerman84

Lurker
Nov 27, 2010
First off let me say that this is a wonderful site and I will be using a lot once I get my first Android phone.
I will be eligible for upgrade in a couple months and have AT&T. I will most definitely be buying an Android if I wait until then. I might be buying a phone earlier from ebay. Will AT&T be able to tell that I suddenly have a smart phone? (I currently have a Samsung Impression) The reason I am asking is because I have a Family plan with unlimited data for around $15 a month, and don't want to downgrade to the 200mb plan for smartphones if I dont have to. Thanks for your help

if you transfer the sim card.. i dont think they will know...
Upgrading your phone, will not change your plan. I have heard that you grandfathered in. As long as you do not elect to change it. you should be safe.

the only thing is.....
the selection of android phones on att sucks!
they have done things to each android phone to... lower its possible functionality.

if your contract is up... my suggestion to you...
take a look at jumping to another carrier. If you area has service that is better and cheaper; and with better android phones!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply, and believe me if I could switch from AT&T I would as they are the only company in my area with good service ( if I threw my phone it would almost hit the tower). Verizon is spotty at best, Sprint is pretty much non-existent to my knowledge, and T-mobile and AT&T have dropped roaming agreements so they're a no go as well.

I am looking at a Samsung Captivate at the moment because as you pointed out, their Android selection sucks but i am not to concerned about Side-loading apps so No problems there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones