1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Cwhite0, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Cwhite0

Cwhite0 Lurker

Hey all,
    I've visited this site for a while. Finally decided to post. I've come across a problem that Google can't fix. I've been the proud owner of many android phones. From the shotty phones they offer at metropcs to flagship. I've even worked as the horrible salesman for one of the top 5. I've been the proud owner of a GN2. For almost 2 years. As we all know it's come the time to upgrade. There's only one problem... I have no idea which phone to get.

So I ask myself what do I need my phone to do.
    Last all day under heavy use
    Double as a toddlers entertainment method in the car seat
    Take decent photos that end up no where
    Multi task with ease (cause I am way to lazy to close my apps)
    and endure harsh environments while in my pocket (volunteer FF here)
    With those being said I don't need a whole lot from my phone. Which is why I began to debate going to Apple. It's small enough I can fit in my pocket and it pretty much force closes my apps.
    Only problem is well it's apple and they suck. Removable battery and expandable storage trumps that.
    I need it to last all day and nothing better than a zero lemon battery. My Note 2 is just too damn big for my lifestyle. I've lost more phones than I can remember either leaving them on an engines bumper or falling out my jacket pocket while on the motorcycle.
    Answer seems simple go for the S5. Well it doesn't offer much my note can't all ready do. I'm open to suggestions and or comments. My carrier is us cellular which eliminates the nexus. Cause I've thought about that one.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yeah, based on your requirements I'd go either S5 or S4 Active, or a Sony Z series. It's not being a fan of Samsung or anything, but the competition is either selling a bigger phone for the same specs, or isn't as "tough". Doubt on the Sony's durability as they seem to be all glass, then HTC doesn't have replaceable batteries (not sure about Sony). LG's sizes for similar phones are closer to Note sizes than S-sizes.

No comment on Moto phones since they aren't sold in my country.

3. Cagey75

Cagey75 Newbie

Don't get an iPhone if you need something durable! Especially if you plan to use it to entertain a toddler! The S5 seems the way to go, it's water resistant, good for juice spillages, and though it's plastic, it'll take a fall better than an iPhone too. I had the iphone 4 and 5, the 4 fell off a coffee table, no more than a couple of feet, and smashed. The Home button also gave in after a few months, you had to press really hard on it for it to react after. And that button is used for everything. The 5 died for no apparent reason, the battery just gave in after just over a year. Refused to charge.

I still have an iPad mini, well over a year now, and it's fine. But on the phone side, something that's going to be in my pocket all the time, I decided to go Android this time around and got the M8. Not exactly toddler friendly that one, but my other choice was the S5. I think that is the one for you

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi Cwhite0, welcome to the site!

I moved your thread to the Device Comparisons forum :)

5. Cwhite0

Cwhite0 Lurker

I don't feel that'd be an actual upgrade though. Other than the fingerprint scanner between the note 2 and the S5 they are the same. I can't get the S4 active with my carrier.