• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgraded 2.10.52.13753 not working, assistance requested

firefox73

Jun 24, 2010
Assistance required please:

I deleted the original Swype and then have downloaded WVGA 2.10.52.13753. I've deleted /system/lib/libswypecore and then run the SWYPE SVGA 2.10.XXXX.apk.

When I then try to use it I get the message "The application Swype (process com.swype.android.input mehod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

After switching teh phone off and back on, I still get this continuously.

I am running my SGS on 2.2 which is Froyo .XXJPO with root and OCLF. What am I missing?

I also note that niXXoz talks about pusing, what is this? I've tried copy and paste but when I get up to the lib and app level the paste option disappears. Could be completely inconsequential but thought I'd ask.

Really look forward to any help that you can lend.

Thanks

Try to explain to us how exactly you ran the procedure so we can help you better.
Your phone needed to be rooted, and while trying to copy the new Swype apk file, you needed to delete or backup (by changing the name or the extension) all the files relating to Swype. I mean there might be an .apk and an .odex file. You should have changed them all.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the responses.

Try to explain to us how exactly you ran the procedure so we can help you better.

I thought that I had explained it sufficiently well but for the avoidance of doubt:

1. Used Titanium Backup to copy Swype to external SD card.
2. Then used Uninstaller Pro to delete Swype.
3. Used Android Mate to delete /system/lib/libSwypeCore.(may well have been .SO)
4. Couldn't find Swype.apk and Swype.odex, presumed these had been removed by Uninstall Pro?
5. Rebooted using Off > 3 button Recovery to then click on Reboot, (should I have booted from the 'apply sdcard:update.zip')
6. Installed Swype 2.10.52.13753 apk file
7. Rebooted
8. Return to settings click on the Swype check box under Locale and Text. Which checks normally.
9. Click on a text box and long push on the window to chose input method. Select Swype and the get single vibrate followed by the triple vibrate and the message "Sorry! The application Swype (process com.swype.android.inputmethod) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". Force Close

I don't know whether the missing .odex or .apk files have anything to do with it. I have also downloadsed a number of Swype 2.10.52.13753 files just in case but they all do the same thing.

i followed exactly this forum Swype 2.10 is a BIG improvement and successfully updated swype.

Yes, I was using that link too, along with some different applications to delete and also run the .apk file but it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Desperately missing the Swype functionality. As they say "You never miss something until its gone!"

Any suggestions gratefully received and would help if you can specify exactly where files should be found.

To recap, the phone is a stock unlocked UK model which I've rooted with One CLick Lag Fix.

Upvote 0
1) i've downloaded swype from Swype.WVGA.2.10.52.13753.apk.

2) I used a program that can set the system directory to R/W (read/write) called 'Super Manager' to do it (can be found in the android market).

3) I moved Swype.apk and Swype.odex out of the /system/app directory (just dump it in a temporary directory. I put it into my dropbox directory so it synced to my notebook). Again I moved libSwypeCore.so out of the /system/lib directory to the same temporary directory. If it doesn't work then you can just move everything back.

4) I made sure I selected samsung keyboard as my primary input method, and I rebooted the phone of good measure. Then I just ran the apk file I've downloaded (Swype WVGA 2.10.52.13753.apk). It installed and it runs fine.

i have sgs unlocked rooted with voodoo lagfix installed and my quadrant score is 1573. hope tgis works for you.

Upvote 0
I think I may have found the problem, although I still can't find a program that will execute the delete. After I've deleted the file libSwypeCore.so, it disappears from view. Only when I reboot and return to the subdirectory does it reappear.

I concluded that the Android Mate is not actually removing the file.

I then tried Super Manager's File Explorer to find the file and try and remove it. File Manager however deletes the file but it immediately reappears.

The issue hopefully, should be that I am not setting the directory to R/W. I am using the free Super Manager as recommended but can not see how I can make the directory R/W?

Can anyone confirm how this can be done please?

Upvote 0
when opening the file explorer go to /system you will get this
DropBox
SC20101208-134453.png

click on the R/W and delete or dump the two files mentioned above. do the same with the other file. remeber that there are 3 files related to swype that must be removed from the system. be sure to select the standard samsung keyboard as input method before removing these files. after that, restart the phone and install swype.

Reactions: firefox73
Upvote 0
Thanks ayongkot, however.......

When I go to System under file explorer in Super Manageer, I simply get the list of folders that you can just make out under your "Switch System R/W" window. How did you get this window to appear? Could it be that you have the full paid app and I have the free one and this is a limitation of the free app?

I also noticed that if I check LibSwypeCore.so in Super Manager, then click on the 777 Icon on the icon browser at the bottom (looks like a set of cogs), it gives me the option to "Change File MODE". At the moment all 9 are checked. If I uncheck the Owner Read, Write and EXFC prompts I then receive the message "Must select before CHMOD (Need Rooted and Busybox)". I went back and ran BusyBox again, which said that I already had 3 copies of it on my phone and that my phone is currently rooted. This I already knew as I have a Quadrant score of around 1900.

I'm not sure if I am reading too much into this, is it the file explorer application, is it a problem with my root, busybox, the phone or more likely something I've overlooked?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
my super manager is the free version. my sgs is rooted, with voodoo lagfix applied. i also have busybox. i can only help up to this point. i can't think anymore of any ways. you might have gone to the wrong folder because this does not appear when you go to /system/lib only at /system/app (i think).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

Initially wrote a reply regarding further questions but thought I'd try removing Super Manager and reinstalling. Low and behold I was then able to get the page the option for R/W.

From there it was plain sailing, all the actions that I'd been doing time and time before. I was always confident that I'd been doing the tight things, it was just frustrating to keep seeing the libSwypeCore reappear.

Don't know why Super Manager wouldn't let me do it first time but there we go. Thanks for your patience and your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones