• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgraded to 2.1 and now GPS doesn't work at all?

warbux

Aug 6, 2010
So, I was running the leaked 2.1 for a while (which worked perfectly except for youtube fwiw) and finally decided last week to upgrade to the official 2.1 release. Youtube runs smoothly now and my performance seems slightly faster, but my GPS does not work at ALL.

Neither Sprint nor Google Navigation works. I tried turning off the "Use wireless networks" setting and it didn't help at all. Anybody else having this problem? Is there any way to fix this? Am I going to need to re-install my OS? Do I need a replacement phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

The gps reciever in this phone is one of its bigest weak points. I had the gps stop functioning back in early December (1.5 pre cl14) and had the unit swapped out. My current Moment is showing the same gps flakyness. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. The only reason I haven't swapped it out is that this phone doesn't suffer badly from cdma lockup. Having experienced Sprints refurb's before, I don't want to swap my bad gps for a refurb that locks up and I don't want a Hero or a Intercept at all. I've given up on the gps function of the phone, even if it works consistently, its reception is weak enough to make it an unreliable navigator. I've played with a least 10 other Moments and all had similar weak gps reception. I's a design choice, not a part failure. Seeing that there are similar gps complaints about all the Galaxy S models already released makes me even less enthusiastic about the Epic.

I don't know of any issue in the stock 2.1 that causes the gps to stop working. There are a few people that claim the gps performed better under 1.5, but I'm not so sure. You could try re flashing to see if that corrects things, or root and try an alternate rom? Mainly, I suspect it's a hardware problem that you might want to visit a Sprint repair center about. Good luck!

Upvote 0
So, I was running the leaked 2.1 for a while (which worked perfectly except for youtube fwiw) and finally decided last week to upgrade to the official 2.1 release. Youtube runs smoothly now and my performance seems slightly faster, but my GPS does not work at ALL.

Neither Sprint nor Google Navigation works. I tried turning off the "Use wireless networks" setting and it didn't help at all. Anybody else having this problem? Is there any way to fix this? Am I going to need to re-install my OS? Do I need a replacement phone?

Any help would be appreciated.
Lately I've been running GPS Test first-- lock on to a bunch of satellites quickly then run Google Maps. Almost instantaneous My location

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones