• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upgraded to JB, but lost root

DimBulb

Android Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2012
Minnesota
Used the bit's and pieces that made sense to me, from a few of the threads about the OTA, and after reading, and trying, failing, finally got there with this method.

I used Supers System_Prep_JB_Warp to prep the partitions, than still in CMW did a install zip. The actual upgrade download (that I'd prevented the automatic installation of) to copy paste into SD card AND into cache, and that worked. I figured, it was sent to my phone, and it was checked for accuracy after it finished download, so why not use it?

The new partitions from Super were the fix, as it all loaded and no errors.

But not before I screwed up, when the final screen came up, to disable stock recovery yes?, (I knew I was supposed to say yes), ... but I guess I wasn't ready for that screen, or the decision, ... so I tapped down, to go back, it's safe to do that, double check make certain before committing, (when in CMW) ...but too late, that rebooted and yea... lost root.

Junkies tool, isn't rooting it, and the Recovery to CWM Standard, screen comes up, then hangs, than flies away.

Any ideas to get me out of this, and back rooted with CMW?

Thanks.

No, being stock, it's so limited in what's "allowed", but did try, and although started to, it soon stopped running the script in the root.zip.

It's "not allowed" .

Also have the notifications of "Wiper app stopped", and "Qualcom ..." fail like others report.

I'll hope more idea's arrive when people can cut free from their day, there's always willing help offered, and when you try over and over, but only get the same dead end result, it's time to stop.

Upvote 0
the wiper and qualcomm arent exactly the most necessary components in the world, not gonna kill ya. and the root method for the new rom has been in place since before the rom came out, cwm can be installed using fastboot even while not rooted. you just have to do some manual driver forcing most of the time to get your computer to play nice with fastboot

Upvote 0
the wiper and qualcomm arent exactly the most necessary components in the world, not gonna kill ya. and the root method for the new rom has been in place since before the rom came out, cwm can be installed using fastboot even while not rooted. you just have to do some manual driver forcing most of the time to get your computer to play nice with fastboot

Will you tell me how to fastboot please, I've never used it?

I've been reading from my notes from back in the fall, just don't see what I need, or anything about fast boot. And did try the rooting again, that I did than, http://androidforums.com/warp-seque...-root-zte-warp-sequent-use-your-own-risk.html

(as well as your tool).

Your tool, is not able to root, although it ran through UN-rooting with no errors, during an attempt to root, it consistently is saying:
system/run/jb:cant create/data/local.prop.PermissionDenied.

Upvote 0
Must be tired.

I have CMW still on my SD card of course, but installed?

You mean through command promp on the PC when it's USB connected/debugging on?? That's, just a gaping hole in my memory banks. I must have, but can't remember the procedure.

And, the phone is rejecting each attempt, to install chevenol360's root.zip probably needs root, to do that.

Upvote 0
Alright got root again.

Don't ask me which of the 84 time's or any of the methods, tried, made it work. Just don't know. Each time, (after reboot) I'd try Titanium backup, each time it apologized, but couldn't access root. Same with the widget for RomTool box, that lets me drop into reboot recovery, neither were able, so I assumed ...

But, nevertheless, thanks to Junkies tool, (either must have done the job), and Blargh's encouragement, I tried. But, I unplugged the USB, then turned it off, and booted into recovery, figured one more try from there to get the root.zip to go maybe???

And there's this new recovery screen, larger font, larger more drag-able screen.

I'll let you know if this is really only toying with me.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FastbootVariables.jpg
    FastbootVariables.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
Well, It works, and I wish I could be specific. Truth is I tried all except stock recovery. I spent far too long trying to regain root after my foolish error.

I've uninstalled Titanium, and am downloading it again, because I figure, it must be "stuck", and confused, with it's trying to access root, failing, and the later re-gaining root, didn't help it to "somehow know".

How about yourself, you haven't said, did you get over to the OTA, or install one of the upgrades posted to flash?

And thanks again.

Upvote 0
Well, that's a new one. Now there's NO root?

Why would I be able to boot into an apparently rooted, recovery screen, by holding volume down, power button until the vibration, get the scree that "appears" to be root, (but a little different, like a newer upgrade variant?), yet not have root?

Titanium still can't access rot, and "Root Checker" downloaded off play store, says for sure the phone's not "properly rooted".

What the???

Upvote 0
sounds like maybe you are on jb stock recovery, although I have not seen it lol. Do you have install zip from sdcard? or just something about update.zip? does it say cwm or clockworkmod anywhere in recovery? If not it's stock and you should try the fastboot method from junkies tool to install cwm.

Upvote 0
sounds like maybe you are on jb stock recovery, although I have not seen it lol. Do you have install zip from sdcard? or just something about update.zip? does it say cwm or clockworkmod anywhere in recovery? If not it's stock and you should try the fastboot method from junkies tool to install cwm.

This has been the damndest ride.

What, I found after that last post, was this, that SOMEHOW, Junkies tools to root, and recover, (fast boot) scripts, did PARTIALLY, on this JB stock recovery, JUST ENOUGH, to sort of, kick it in the ass! Ever hear of anything like that before?

So, in the reboot (recovery), I went ahead and installed from zip, the root.zip, I'd tried and failed this morning to get the bootloader to install.

So, doing that, DID restore full root to my phone.

Titanium Backup now has root access, and the root checker, confirms that it's on the phone too.

Thanks for the idea's. Pass this on to anyone else having a similar problem with root issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones