• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded to the leaked Froyo? Motorola says no OTA updates for you

yeah, if the ota froyo was like a HUGE upgrade over what we have now id flash the sbf and go back to 2.1 for it, but honestly given what we've seen of the official 2.2 from the droid 2, our 2.2 is pretty darn close to finished. with the exception of a few bugs, its solid. Honestly, who would give up the coming roms (vanilla froyo) for a non-rooted 2.2 that could have had the root exploit patched?

Although, id also like to think that once the ota is out it ll be ripped and rooted and within a few weeks ready for the rest of us.

I love my droid x, but the big M really shouldn't be making Android devices if they want this much control.

Upvote 0
This makes me LOL. Motorola had a reason for not releasing it yet. Patience is a virtue people. I waited and I knew I made the right decision.

You do realize that it is extremely simple to convert back to 2.1, right?

Regardless, custom roms are making their appearance now and I would much, much rather flash them than the OTA.

Upvote 0
Who the hell cares? We have froyo already if you installed the leak, it's going to be really close to what's officially released....and most of us have stayed rooted. I'll take rooted froyo over unrooted froyo anyhow. And by the time someone finds out how to root the official release......there will probably be a shiny new flash file we can flash it with, if we choose.

Seriously, how is a couple extra weeks of Froyo goodness, PLUS still being rooted anything but BETTER than unrooted "official" Froyo release? :)

Upvote 0
We will be able to flash the official version the same way we did the leak? We just can't get it via OTA?
From what I'm reading, I don't think so...

WARNING: Do NOT load the leaked 2.2 upgrade that has been floating around on the Internets. There is currently no upgrade path from that load to the official 2.2 load that will be released by early September. Unless you have some plan to flash your phone back to the current official load, you could be stuck on the leaked version.

From the sound of it, it seems you need 2.1 to install their 2.2. Probably going to do a md5 hashcheck before installation will go or along those lines.

Either way, you should be able to get it one way or another. Just means you'll have to do some extra work to upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones