• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded to the leaked Froyo? Motorola says no OTA updates for you

What does that have to do with Moto? They're not preventing you from getting 2.2, just not supporting you if you go from leaked to official.

If you installed the leak, you did it yourself knowing the risks. Going back to official 2.1 is easy.
I totally knew the risk when I installed it, And frankly I think the updates will work anyway. I have had no problems with the leak, it runs fantastic. That is not what upsets me about this. Motorola is just trying to freak people out and act like this is a punishment. Why would you try and punish people who bought your product? If I wanted a company to do that, I would buy an iPhone. The proper way to handle this would be to tell your customers "We understand you are all excited for 2.2, and we will make sure you all the the latest version. Because we care about our customers."

Upvote 0
It doesn't seem that easy to me if I have to wipe all of my data and do a factory reset. Won't I lose all of my configuration settings, etc? Or is there an easy way to backup and restore *everything* in one fell swoop on an unrooted phone? If I have to restore everything manually I would just as soon keep the leaked version with whatever bugs there might be (I haven't experienced many, fortunately).

Upvote 0
I totally knew the risk when I installed it, And frankly I think the updates will work anyway. I have had no problems with the leak, it runs fantastic. That is not what upsets me about this. Motorola is just trying to freak people out and act like this is a punishment. Why would you try and punish people who bought your product? If I wanted a company to do that, I would buy an iPhone. The proper way to handle this would be to tell your customers "We understand you are all excited for 2.2, and we will make sure you all the the latest version. Because we care about our customers."

Yep, agreed. It's not everyone's fault that the leak appeared, but not everyone knew the risk that the vendor would punish them for a leak that probably came from inside Moto. If I had heard about the C&D from Moto ahead of time I would have waited.

In fact, installing my own upgrade was the only way I was able to obtain the final update for my (now retired) Blackberry Storm -- Verizon never released it. I had to install it from the BBForum website. I went several months with a nice upgrade Verizon never pushed out. So it goes both ways sometimes.

Reactions: sullyjohnl
Upvote 0
Boring.

People have already figured out how to implement custom ROMs on the X despite the eFuse. If Moto thinks they can stop leaked users from upgrading to the official Froyo, they are dreaming a pipe dream. There will be a ripped rooted upgrade.zip within weeks of the official release. Anyways, I'm happy with my leaked Froyo, it's literally doubled my battery life because of the bugs in the out-of-box Eclair build.

Upvote 0
i bet most of us with 2.2 now will have the official 2.2 before all those that waited...

Well yeah, some of these "So Proud I Waited" guys are going to not even download the OTA when it becomes available on the Internet even though the push update will undoubtedly take weeks just as it did with the Droid 1. I know for a fact the moment the official is cracked and rooted I'll put it on my phone, and I'm willing to bet good money it won't more than a week or two for that to happen. So I'll still get the official before the people who are "So Proud I Waited" for the OTA to be pushed to their phone during the phased rollout.

I really wonder about these people who are so proud of being ground under vast corporate heels. There's actually pride and honor in waiting for a faceless multinational megacorporation to feel like issuing a software update when it damn well feels like it instead of when the consumers, the end users, actually need it?

Upvote 0

Nicely put. I especially liked the iPhone part.

Upvote 0
Well yeah, some of these "So Proud I Waited" guys are going to not even download the OTA when it becomes available on the Internet even though the push update will undoubtedly take weeks just as it did with the Droid 1. I know for a fact the moment the official is cracked and rooted I'll put it on my phone, and I'm willing to bet good money it won't more than a week or two for that to happen. So I'll still get the official before the people who are "So Proud I Waited" for the OTA to be pushed to their phone during the phased rollout.

I really wonder about these people who are so proud of being ground under vast corporate heels. There's actually pride and honor in waiting for a faceless multinational megacorporation to feel like issuing a software update when it damn well feels like it instead of when the consumers, the end users, actually need it?

Why they gotta be "these" people?

some of these "So Proud I Waited" guys
Why they gotta be "guys"?

Why you gotta hate?

Upvote 0
Yep, agreed. It's not everyone's fault that the leak appeared, but not everyone knew the risk that the vendor would punish them for a leak that probably came from inside Moto.

Wait, was there something I didn't read? Are they preventing those who used the leak to upgrade to the official 2.2? The text just says you'll have to go back to 2.1 first, and then you can apply the official update once it comes out.

And as I former Storm owner, I completely sympathize with anyone who wants to run a leak to get some more out of his phone.

But please explain how you're being punished? Or is this likely just overly sensitive griping?

Upvote 0

Nah, its not like that at all. When the words, unofficial and leaked are tied together to something that I am putting on my phone (You know, the device that I need to communicate to people with), I am hesitant.

Hours later people were posting the bugs, glitches and other issues. The fact that moto announced the fact the 2.2 unofficial does not have a upgrade path, leads me to assume the 2.2 unofficial is not the same as the official. If it was the same thing as the official, they would have stated that then and there.

Spending all of the money that I did on a phone + deposit and knowing the the unofficial is less than a month away made me do the most sensible and logical thing. I guess waiting patiently is not common anymore.

Now, on the other hand if 2.2 unofficial was 6 months away from the official, I could see the sense in installing the leaked version.

Upvote 0
Who the hell cares? We have froyo already if you installed the leak, it's going to be really close to what's officially released....and most of us have stayed rooted. I'll take rooted froyo over unrooted froyo anyhow. And by the time someone finds out how to root the official release......there will probably be a shiny new flash file we can flash it with, if we choose.

Seriously, how is a couple extra weeks of Froyo goodness, PLUS still being rooted anything but BETTER than unrooted "official" Froyo release? :)
Then 1 week later it will be rooted as well. You make it seem like it is impossible for someone to figure out how to root these.

Upvote 0
Wait, was there something I didn't read? Are they preventing those who used the leak to upgrade to the official 2.2? The text just says you'll have to go back to 2.1 first, and then you can apply the official update once it comes out.

And as I former Storm owner, I completely sympathize with anyone who wants to run a leak to get some more out of his phone.

But please explain how you're being punished? Or is this likely just overly sensitive griping?

I was responding to a post above mine that stated Motorola is acting like this is a kind of punishment. And it could be retribution for installing the leak. Maybe they are just protecting themselves, but they should take some responsibility for the fact the leak occurred and that, of course, people will install it before they have the chance to warn people not to. My point about updating the Storm was just to emphasize that my experience with installing an "unofficial OS" wasn't one that caused issues, so I didn't think anything of installing the leak. It's almost as if Moto/Verizon are being more rigid about an unofficial Android release than RIM/Verizon were for a BB OS release. Again, maybe there are business reasons for it, but as a consumer, there doesn't seem to be consistency.

At any rate, I would be glad to flash back to 2.1 -- IF I can back up my unrooted data and configs and restore them fairly easily. If I have to spend hours doing so, what's the point? I'll just use my "almost" official release that seems to be working fine.

Upvote 0
Becoming less and less of a motorola fan. They probably wont be my choice for a next gen android phone.

That said i'm gonna restore back to 2.1 and do the officical upgrade when it happens, and then root and flash. The leak runs like garbage for me mostly because I didn't do a factory reset on installing? No one ever told me to. I'm not thrilled about restoring all my apps and custom settings and looks just so I can get an update that should be given to me anyway, but I want to make my phone run better so whatever. I will lose my saves in a few rpg's I have installed sadly unless I can find a way to transfer the entire game to SD card.

So much trouble for a supposedly open platform....I really wish Google put out this as a Nexus Two instead of motorola. At least I have motivation to root and delete the crap software they installed for me.

Upvote 0
Nah, its not like that at all. When the words, unofficial and leaked are tied together to something that I am putting on my phone (You know, the device that I need to communicate to people with), I am hesitant.

Hours later people were posting the bugs, glitches and other issues. The fact that moto announced the fact the 2.2 unofficial does not have a upgrade path, leads me to assume the 2.2 unofficial is not the same as the official. If it was the same thing as the official, they would have stated that then and there.

Spending all of the money that I did on a phone + deposit and knowing the the unofficial is less than a month away made me do the most sensible and logical thing. I guess waiting patiently is not common anymore.

Now, on the other hand if 2.2 unofficial was 6 months away from the official, I could see the sense in installing the leaked version.

/shrug

I used to use Windows Mobile. If you think putting an unofficial leaked, but signed by the company using their secret (currently un-cracked) encryption key build is some kind of wild risk, then you have no idea. None at all. The things the ROM cookers used to do with Windows Mobile would cause your brain to explode.

Oh, right, and the money you spent on the phone is like 3 months worth of phone bills. The money you spent on the phone is actually almost nothing by comparison to the possibly thousands of dollars you'll be paying in phone bills during the life of your contract.

Reactions: Breakmyfootoff
Upvote 0
/shrug

I used to use Windows Mobile. If you think putting an unofficial leaked, but signed by the company using their secret (currently un-cracked) encryption key build is some kind of wild risk, then you have no idea. None at all. The things the ROM cookers used to do with Windows Mobile would cause your brain to explode.

Oh, right, and the money you spent on the phone is like 3 months worth of phone bills. The money you spent on the phone is actually almost nothing by comparison to the possibly thousands of dollars you'll be paying in phone bills during the life of your contract.

lol, think again. I was not stupid and got a 1 year contract. For me with my company discount was only $30 more. $100 a month bill and get my deposit back afterwards and I will use that to get me the next best android phone.

Which is a drop in bucket compared to what I make a year. I make what this phone cost plus a whole year of bills in 1 paycheck easily.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones