• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded to the leaked Froyo? Motorola says no OTA updates for you

lol, think again. I was not stupid and got a 1 year contract. For me with my company discount was only $30 more. $100 a month bill and get my deposit back afterwards and I will use that to get me the next best android phone.

Which is a drop in bucket compared to what I make a year. I make what this phone cost plus a whole year of bills in 1 paycheck easily.

I need to quote this in case you try to edit it later. I would like to pretend this was all part of my master plan, but the reality is YOU basically made yourself look like a total ass by pulling the "I'm Richer Than You" card. Once you've pulled that card, there's no putting it back.

FWIW, my credit is good enough that I never have to pay a deposit to sign up for a cell phone plan, or anything else for that matter.

Upvote 0
I need to quote this in case you try to edit it later. I would like to pretend this was all part of my master plan, but the reality is YOU basically made yourself look like a total ass by pulling the "I'm Richer Than You" card. Once you've pulled that card, there's no putting it back.

FWIW, my credit is good enough that I never have to pay a deposit to sign up for a cell phone plan, or anything else for that matter.

LOL i know. bragging about your mid 5 figure income on a forum just makes you looks silly.

but let's not get into a pissing match about who makes more money, or who has better credit. that's not what this thread is about (it's about the OTA, remember?) i can afford a phone and a year's worth of phone bills from one paycheck too. what's that prove.

anyway, this thread highlights a lot of things.

1. we can clearly see who shouldnt have been messing with this update. any time you see the word "leak," expect there to be bugs. and, do some research before you install it. people saying "how do you go back to 2.1?" a. use google. it is your friend. b. dont start messing with something until you understand what can go wrong, and how to fix it. i was well aware of the .sbf a good week or 2 before 2.2 dropped. which brings me to my next point.

2. people with your noses in the air because you were "smart" and waited. this is a highly tech intensive product we are using. smartphones are really bringing tech to the mainstream, but tweaking technology is nothing new. however, this leak wasnt intended for the mainstream. it was intended for those who already knew motorola probably wouldnt provide this path, and who have no problem flashing back to 2.1 at the drop of a hat. unfortunately, there are a ton of people out there who are too dumb to do a little research before they go and dive head first into the shallow end.

3. why are people surprised at this?! motorola made it VERY clear they didnt want people doing this. and i think the reasons were very clear. and, who can blame them for not wanting to spend time and money to support the people who went off and knowingly voided their warranty, by installing a leak motorola asked them not to.
this is not a punishment from motorola. they arent being spiteful. they are simply not going to divert their resources from getting the OTA out to the folks with 2.1, just to get it to the people who arent capable of flashing back once the OTA starts coming.

eh, who cares anyway? as was said by multiple people before, the official update will be on the internet before the majority of people get the OTA anyway.

i do apologize if i sound like a snob here. that isnt my intent. and, i dont want to be one of those people that says stuff like, "if you dont know what you're doing, you have no business trying." that isnt it at all.
it's just that i get frustrated when people dont research what they are doing. there is so much info out there, and some of the things that people are surprised about, wouldnt be such a big surprise if they would have just done a little research.

and to those that stopped by just to say, "see, this is why i waited. i'm so smart." i'm glad you didnt try to attempt something you dont understand, but 1. for those of us that DO understand, this is hardly an issue. even if the OTA did come thru, i wouldnt install it. i'd wait for a rom. i like to control my own software installs. and 2. dont rub it in for those who jumped the gun, and installed 2.2 when they shouldnt have. they'll be just fine as long as this wakes them up, and they start doing a little research.

Upvote 0
What a load of shit. The leaked version has plenty of bugs in it btw, I had media player lock the entire phone up for the second time tonight. I definitely don't want to be stuck on this build forever. This is just a pain in the ass and kind of not what I was expecting from Moto.

if the leak had no bugs, we'd have it already. there is a reason the final update isnt coming until a month after the leak was ready. always expect bugs from a leak, and always have a backup plan before you start messing with software because murphy's law applies especially to technology.

Upvote 0
If anyone from Motorola reads this forum, ********. Its my phone. Not yours. I will do with it as I please.

motorola never said you're not allowed to do with it as you please. they're simply saying "if you can manage to install the leak, we trust you can handle it from here." no use diverting resources from the people that need help (OTA) to upgrade their software. if you can figure out how to install the leak, you can figure out how to get the OTA. i am glad they're doing this. it would probably add another month to the release if they had to figure out the path to put 2.2 on phones that already have it. the package would have to have a bunch of differences. this way, we all get it earlier.

Reactions: vr4
Upvote 0
this is an elaborate marketing strat by moto to help keep up with the phone demand, if they can drive some customers away with this type of messages they will probably be able to meet demand by next year

that makes so much sense! a marketing strategy to slow down sales!

trust me, motorola would be happy with a backorder 2 months long. right now, they are selling as many units as they can possibly manufacture, and their device is in such high demand, people are willing to wait 2 weeks to get it, when they could get an incredible or a D2 immediately. yeah, they want to turn people off to their product.

not likely.

Upvote 0

What he didn't tell you was that he gets paid monthly!!!!

Upvote 0
Nah, its not like that at all. When the words, unofficial and leaked are tied together to something that I am putting on my phone (You know, the device that I need to communicate to people with), I am hesitant.

Hours later people were posting the bugs, glitches and other issues. The fact that moto announced the fact the 2.2 unofficial does not have a upgrade path, leads me to assume the 2.2 unofficial is not the same as the official. If it was the same thing as the official, they would have stated that then and there.

Spending all of the money that I did on a phone + deposit and knowing the the unofficial is less than a month away made me do the most sensible and logical thing. I guess waiting patiently is not common anymore.

Now, on the other hand if 2.2 unofficial was 6 months away from the official, I could see the sense in installing the leaked version.
And after the "official" OTA is pushed, there will be people posting bugs, glitches, and other issues, just like they did within hours of the phones release. You accomplished absolutely nothing by waiting patiently. Those of us who rooted though have enjoyed the benefits of root access, Froyo, themes, overclocking, and nandroid backups over the past few weeks. On top of that we can still take our phones back to 100% stock 2.1 and be exactly like yours, but you cant go back and enjoy a few weeks worth of Froyo goodness before it officially releases. :p

Upvote 0
This makes me LOL. Motorola had a reason for not releasing it yet. Patience is a virtue people. I waited and I knew I made the right decision.

I am glad I waited as well.

Well yeah, some of these "So Proud I Waited" guys are going to not even download the OTA when it becomes available on the Internet even though the push update will undoubtedly take weeks just as it did with the Droid 1. I know for a fact the moment the official is cracked and rooted I'll put it on my phone, and I'm willing to bet good money it won't more than a week or two for that to happen. So I'll still get the official before the people who are "So Proud I Waited" for the OTA to be pushed to their phone during the phased rollout.

I really wonder about these people who are so proud of being ground under vast corporate heels. There's actually pride and honor in waiting for a faceless multinational megacorporation to feel like issuing a software update when it damn well feels like it instead of when the consumers, the end users, actually need it?

You "need" froyo? No one "needs" it

Upvote 0
I just want to ask one question, if in fact this is true, when the OTA comes out and the leaked phones will not recognize the update do you think we can still down grade then, and then chose to update via OTA? Making it possible to upgrade the "official" way?

I would love to have the original froyo, but yes I jumped ship and unless there is some crazy improvements why not just stay where some of us are? After root, wifi and now hdmi the only thing I see getting better is performance, which is a big plus.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
"The Faceless Rebel" with all of the talk of being "ground under a vast corporate heel" and "they" and "those people" makes me laugh.

It's a phone. It's not a revolution.

Guys, please read sund0wn's posts again. Yes, it probably should have been worded better. But the reality is that there is a different software process to upgrade the leaked 2.2 phones - likely, the actual upgrade is different, but even if it means they just had to build sanity checks into the OTA update checker... Do you really think Moto is going to spend their resources on making sure the people who installed a leaked OS get their OTA upgrade? Or to validate that a leaked 2.2 -> final 2.2 upgrade is bug free (which I guarantee they would have to do prior to building the logic into the OTA checker to allow leaked 2.2 users to get the update)? Do you even know how much work validations like that are?

So they're giving you fair warning: you won't get the upgrade unless you're on stock 2.1.

That sounds pretty fair and reasonable to me.

Reactions: sund0wn
Upvote 0

LMAO, that was not the intention of it all. I am sure there are thousands on here that make WAY more than me. I never even stated "I am richer than you", nor am I even trying to compare one another's income.

Btw, I got to love how you bash me for something I never stated, then turn around and basically state "I am better than you, because I have a perfect credit score."

Upvote 0
glad I didnt mess with this phone like I have in the past. I feel for ya rooters though. Tough to wait been there.

Nobody has to wait. the thought process here is convoluted. we can simply flash back to 2.1 if we want the OTA whenever it comes out.

I mean seriously, what's the point of all these comments about people being angry and others being ho ho, glad i waited?

This doesn't affect us at all. So we have to take a couple extra steps to upgrade OTA. Big deal?

Upvote 0
Are you implying that Motorola as a company is responsible to update customers who installed something that was leaked from their organization and that they sent warnings and cease & desist letters trying to stop?

EDIT: I misread your post so I didn't answer it correctly the first time...

I do believe Moto has the responsibility to control their leaks. If someone from Moto (however related) leaks their OS, that person is a Moto rep in some way or another. The C&D letters came out after countless people had already installed the leak. Whether Moto warned people ahead of time or no, it certainly wasn't with the same media push as the actual C&D letters after-the-fact. But in the end, the person leaking the OS is ultimately responsible.

But I didn't mean to imply Motorola is obligated to push out the update OTA to those who installed the leak if it's going to cause more problems.

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe they have some responsibility to control their leaks. If someone from Moto (however related) leaks their OS, that person is a Moto rep in some way or another. The C&D letters came out after countless people had already installed the leak. Whether Moto warned people ahead of time or no, it certainly wasn't with the same media push as the actual C&D letters after-the-fact. But in the end, the person leaking the OS is ultimately responsible. Like I said before, with other phones you can install OS upgrades without much issue, so there isn't any consistency as to "when" it will be frowned upon by any particular vendor.

heh? so some Motorola employee steals a copy of 2.2 and "leaks" it to his buddy, who then "leaks" it elsewhere ....and your trying to say that it was from a rep? WOW!

Upvote 0
Maybe Motorola didn't want to spend their time, effort, and money troubleshooting any potential problems of an 'upgrade' from a leaked 2.2 to whatever they concider a 'proper' 2.2, and don't really care in the slightest if a bunch of message board chowder heads break out the torches and pitchforks at their announcement.

I'd venture that the vast majority of people here are happy with their decisions to install root and/or a leaked rom, and those who did are savvy enough to rollback if they feel the need.

So really, most of the faux indignation here is message board flatus.

Upvote 0
And after the "official" OTA is pushed, there will be people posting bugs, glitches, and other issues, just like they did within hours of the phones release. You accomplished absolutely nothing by waiting patiently. Those of us who rooted though have enjoyed the benefits of root access, Froyo, themes, overclocking, and nandroid backups over the past few weeks. On top of that we can still take our phones back to 100% stock 2.1 and be exactly like yours, but you cant go back and enjoy a few weeks worth of Froyo goodness before it officially releases. :p

This pretty much says it all, IMO. Nobody has to get screwed in the end...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones