• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded to the leaked Froyo? Motorola says no OTA updates for you

with other phones you can install OS upgrades without much issue, so there isn't any consistency as to "when" it will be frowned upon by any particular vendor.

Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that if it's not an official release from a manufacturer, they're on their own when they install an update. If you get some help from the vendor, that's a gift not an expectation.

Straight up: if you installed a known leaked and unapproved update, you are now not Motorola's problem. Deal with it.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. It was abundantly clear from the outset that this was a LEAKED and UNOFFICIAL update. Nowhere was it ever written, stated or implied that Motorola had given the okay for this update. Just the opposite: Moto made it known exactly what they thought of the leak from the outset.

This is like saying, "well, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to rob a bank. I mean, it's not like they had a sign up at the bank. Why's everyone so mad?"

Take responsibility, think through the consequences of actions, and own up to what you do. If you install a leaked OS, don't expect anyone to support you.

Reactions: RichSz and urdaddi
Upvote 0
I hope that the OTA 2.2 update gets rid of the STUPID "BlockBuster app a Bankrupt Company.
Having that app is like having tickets for the Titanic.
I also think "City ID" is dumb if you don't know what city your in you don't belong there or have a serious addiction to a mind altering substance .

(rant over)

I switched back following the guides with No issue the app's needed to go to 2.1 are easy to find.

Upvote 0
Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that if it's not an official release from a manufacturer, they're on their own when they install an update. If you get some help from the vendor, that's a gift not an expectation.

Straight up: if you installed a known leaked and unapproved update, you are now not Motorola's problem. Deal with it.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. It was abundantly clear from the outset that this was a LEAKED and UNOFFICIAL update. Nowhere was it ever written, stated or implied that Motorola had given the okay for this update. Just the opposite: Moto made it known exactly what they thought of the leak from the outset.

This is like saying, "well, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to rob a bank. I mean, it's not like they had a sign up at the bank. Why's everyone so mad?"

Take responsibility, think through the consequences of actions, and own up to what you do. If you install a leaked OS, don't expect anyone to support you.

I agree with you about being responsible for the risk of installing a leak. However, I *never* saw any "thoughts" from Motorola about the leak from the outset, only after-the-fact. Had this been better-known beforehand perhaps less people would have taken the risk.

I realize whoever installs the leak is ultimately responsible for it and that Motorola doesn't have to support it. But it's still my contention that it's *Motorola's* leak. Thus, it behooves them not to be overly ridged in their response to their customers who installed it.

That said, I also agree that heated exchange isn't going to accomplish anything. In the end, everyone should have Froyo one way or another. It's not *that* big of a deal to get angry or arrogant about it. Some people (not all) like to make up reasons to think someone else is dumber than they are. (I'm not talking about the person I'm responding to here).

Upvote 0
That said, I'm agree that heated exchange isn't going to accomplish anything. In the end, everyone should have Froyo one way or another. It's not *that* big of a deal to get angry or arrogant about. Some people (not all) like to make up reasons to think someone else is dumber than they are. (I'm not talking about the person I'm responding to here).

I don't know. I'm obviously much more intelligent than most people here because I used a 1-click root and installed a leaked rom using someone else's instructions.

In fact, I'm too much of a genius to hang out with the likes of you. I'm going to go finish my plans to rule the world now.

Upvote 0
How is this punishment? Most likely the official release is going to patch the exploit used to get root. Why would I want that? Motorola should focus on getting the release out to their customers and quit worrying about the rest of us. We can take care of ourselves (with a lot of help from the developers). I love my rooted X. Moto can stick their official release. I agree with the post above, it is our phone, back off.

Upvote 0
This threaed needs MoAR
bocpx5.gif
bocpx5.gif

Upvote 0
Well yeah, some of these "So Proud I Waited" guys are going to not even download the OTA when it becomes available on the Internet even though the push update will undoubtedly take weeks just as it did with the Droid 1. I know for a fact the moment the official is cracked and rooted I'll put it on my phone, and I'm willing to bet good money it won't more than a week or two for that to happen. So I'll still get the official before the people who are "So Proud I Waited" for the OTA to be pushed to their phone during the phased rollout.

I really wonder about these people who are so proud of being ground under vast corporate heels. There's actually pride and honor in waiting for a faceless multinational megacorporation to feel like issuing a software update when it damn well feels like it instead of when the consumers, the end users, actually need it?

Huge overreaction. Say you get it one week earlier? Will you have to wear a larger shirt for that week?

Upvote 0
motorola never said you're not allowed to do with it as you please. they're simply saying "if you can manage to install the leak, we trust you can handle it from here." no use diverting resources from the people that need help (OTA) to upgrade their software. if you can figure out how to install the leak, you can figure out how to get the OTA. i am glad they're doing this. it would probably add another month to the release if they had to figure out the path to put 2.2 on phones that already have it. the package would have to have a bunch of differences. this way, we all get it earlier.

Bingo!

Upvote 0
all this talk and arguing... lets have more talk around how to solve this for those that jumped on 2.2... Is the standard way of going back to 2.1 as shown in the troubleshooting subforum sufficient enough? what is all the flash talk about? does that link on the first page do this any differently?

You use the RSDLite program along with the .sbf file to flash the phone back to the original 2.1 version.

Upvote 0
You use the RSDLite program along with the .sbf file to flash the phone back to the original 2.1 version.

But bear in mind, you have to restore your data and configs if I'm not mistaken. (If I am mistaken, please correct). That might impact whether or not you would decide to flash back to 2.1 if it requires a lot of time and effort (esp. if it's likely you'll be able to obtain the official release the same way you did the leaked version).

Upvote 0
all this talk and arguing... lets have more talk around how to solve this for those that jumped on 2.2... Is the standard way of going back to 2.1 as shown in the troubleshooting subforum sufficient enough? what is all the flash talk about? does that link on the first page do this any differently?

If you follow the steps to go back to 2.1 in the Troubleshooting subforum, your phone will be as if it were brand new, from the factory. Do that.

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe they have some responsibility to control their leaks. If someone from Moto (however related) leaks their OS, that person is a Moto rep in some way or another. The C&D letters came out after countless people had already installed the leak. Whether Moto warned people ahead of time or no, it certainly wasn't with the same media push as the actual C&D letters after-the-fact. But in the end, the person leaking the OS is ultimately responsible. Like I said before, with other phones you can install OS upgrades without much issue, so there isn't any consistency as to "when" it will be frowned upon by any particular vendor.

to add to what Binary said, this is one of the things that bothers me about the general mindset of this country. people dont want to be responsible for their own actions. they want to point a finger at a big corporation and say, "it's your fault this happened to me. how can you possibly expect me to think for myself?"
i think i am not really getting my point across. it's just frustrating that people install this leak without doing a shred of research, and then look to motorola to fix their problems.
if you installed a hacked copy of windows on your computer, and it started having problems, would you be mad at microsoft for not fixing your problems? of course not. well, at least i hope not. that's exactly what this is. it's a hacked copy of android.
and, it's not like anyone who installed it is screwed. some people here may have had a point if those who installed the leak would never be able to upgrade. but, there will be a .zip on the internet at some point. or, if you want the OTA, FLASH BACK TO 2.1!

Upvote 0
As sund0wn has mentioned, time to be back on the subject.

Most of everyone running the leaked copy should be happy that your's will not update OTA.

Why?
Because Moto knows that you all know a thing or two about the phone if you managed to update it. You all probably have removed apps and installed other things that their 2.2 OTA may corrupt and brick your phone.

I would not say they are punishing the users, as they are preventing a load of returns that may happen if you used the OTA update. Just like the droid phone, the OTA was made available online, shortly after the OTA was rolling out.

Moto is no fool on what happens when people modify equipment with unofficial flashes. When I was working tech support for Roadrunner and a they did a firmware push to address a exploit and a packet loss issue in some Motorola modems, it broke thousands of modems. Most of which were running modified versions of their firmware designed to unlock the modem to pull more from the network than designed.

Since they had no real way to verify this, unless that user was on a watch list. Road runner had to issue all new modems to everyone that it broke.

Reactions: crboone
Upvote 0
But bear in mind, you have to restore your data and configs if I'm not mistaken. (If I am mistaken, please correct). That might impact whether or not you would decide to flash back to 2.1 if it requires a lot of time and effort (esp. if it's likely you'll be able to obtain the official release the same way you did the leaked version).

I've done it several times and it only takes me about 1.5 hours to flash back to 2.1, do a reset and then get everything installed (apps) and setup. Someone doing it for the first time will take longer but it really isn't that bad. I know I can go from a rooted 2.2 back to a stock, rooted, overclocked 2.1 in 25 minutes with everything installed using the .sbf file and clockwork recovery.

Upvote 0
lol, think again. I was not stupid and got a 1 year contract. For me with my company discount was only $30 more. $100 a month bill and get my deposit back afterwards and I will use that to get me the next best android phone.

Which is a drop in bucket compared to what I make a year. I make what this phone cost plus a whole year of bills in 1 paycheck easily.

hmm with all that money you say you make, i sure don't see a V.I.P logo under your name :thinking:

and to stay on the topic, i will not flash back to 2.1... i am enjoying my leaked 2.2 way too much!

Upvote 0
to add to what Binary said, this is one of the things that bothers me about the general mindset of this country. people dont want to be responsible for their own actions. they want to point a finger at a big corporation and say, "it's your fault this happened to me. how can you possibly expect me to think for myself?"
i think i am not really getting my point across. it's just frustrating that people install this leak without doing a shred of research, and then look to motorola to fix their problems.
if you installed a hacked copy of windows on your computer, and it started having problems, would you be mad at microsoft for not fixing your problems? of course not. well, at least i hope not. that's exactly what this is. it's a hacked copy of android.
and, it's not like anyone who installed it is screwed. some people here may have had a point if those who installed the leak would never be able to upgrade. but, there will be a .zip on the internet at some point. or, if you want the OTA, FLASH BACK TO 2.1!

As I've said, I agree that those who installed the leak took responsibility and risk, and that Moto doesn't have to support it. But still, that does not mean there is *no* culpability on the part of Moto that the leak made it out freely on the internet, there was a security breach. This leak was freely available with easy instructions (and little warning about how Moto might react) all over the forums. At the time, that is the "research" that was available everywhere. There were a few people saying Moto might not allow those who installed the leak to upgrade OTA, but that's all I saw -- and I did take that into consideration.

This isn't speaking against personal responsibility. It's simply saying that the responsibility doesn't *only* lie with the consumer who installed the leaked version in this case. Some believe it is a cut-and-dry issue resting squarely on shoulders of the consumer, and I just don't see it that way.

I, too, think it's time to move toward what sund0wn and deadinside have posted and away from this discussion about who's at fault. It sounds like Moto is being reasonable in their response to this so that point is moot.

Upvote 0
I was one of those who bricked his phone trying to get the leak. I can handle the extra steps of flashing to get official 2.2 if I want. I'm not going to go through what others have already discussed ad nauseum. Point being that Moto is acting in its best interest. Which is not using countless man-hours to get "us" (who are running the leaked version), back on the path to the "official" upgrade. That's fine by me.

Anyone who is serious about their phone and has a couple hours, just ask us here on the forums and we'll be more than willing to help out. We can help you back up your files, download the .sbf, flash, re-root (if that's your thing), grab the official update.zip and go from there. Not really anything to stress about, in my book.

That's what the community is here for, to help all the early adopters (and everyone in between) get things working exactly how YOU want them to. That's the power of the Android platform. It's us.

I'll get off my soapbox now. /rant

-Elo

Upvote 0
Sure, just don't complain if it bricks and/or you can't load official 2.2 version. Oh, and don't complain if an eventual warranty fix is denied. You want it both ways.

If I brick it, I will buy a new phone. If my warranty is denied, I will buy new phone again. If I want the official 2.2, I will find a way to get it. The point is I feel like motorola is going out of their way to be a little hostile to their own customers. I don't need them to tell me I wont get the official release. I will find that out when they release it and I don't get it. I can take it from there. I think what sund0wn said here hits the nail on the head.

motorola never said you're not allowed to do with it as you please. they're simply saying "if you can manage to install the leak, we trust you can handle it from here." no use diverting resources from the people that need help (OTA) to upgrade their software. if you can figure out how to install the leak, you can figure out how to get the OTA. i am glad they're doing this. it would probably add another month to the release if they had to figure out the path to put 2.2 on phones that already have it. the package would have to have a bunch of differences. this way, we all get it earlier.

If Motorola would have said exactly that, then this wouldn't bother me so much. If they would spent the time wasted creating that press release on getting the 2.2 update for everyone, I would have been much happier. What I originally said may have been a little heated, and I think it came across wrong. But Motorola should not talk to its customers like that, thus I will probably buy my next smartphone from another company. Well, unless they make something really awesome, lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones