• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded to the leaked Froyo? Motorola says no OTA updates for you

Heated exchange isn't going to accomplish anything. In the end, everyone should have Froyo one way or another. It's not *that* big of a deal to get angry or arrogant about it. Some people (not all) like to make up reasons to think someone else is dumber than they are.
crboone is right on the money!

You installed the leak, it's ultimately your fault. It had to at least cross your mind that you were installing the leak with some sort of a risk, and if it didn't, I'm sure you'll be more careful next time.

In the end, I guess everyone here learned one big lesson..

What's done and over with can not be reversed. The senseless bickering and flaming needs to stop. If it does not, I will not hesitate to issue each offender a ban of at least 3 days. Consider this a warning.

Carry on..

Reactions: deadinside
Upvote 0
How many "internets" are there? What idiot typed this warning? "could be stuck on the leaked version"? Make up your mind/threat. Either it is the official release or it will have a lower version number and be upgradable. Hell you can go back to 2.1. This is a marketing guy trying to scare hackers. All it does is make waves in the shallow end of the pool. People are rushing to flash back to 2.1 LOL. They don't even know if they have the official 2.2. All the internal files are dated 2/28/08 FWIW. If it doesn't OTA does that mean we won't be nagged nagged nagged by the OTA updater? That would be a gift too. The leak works fine even if it isn't the latest build and Motorola did an awesome job on the X.

The Incredible is currently getting the 2.2 OTA. One of ours got it on the weekend. Others haven't. That's 93MB that has to be pushed to one million Incredibles. That doesn't happen overnight. When that is done, the X can get it's 2.2 OTA as it is next in line. THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNITL SEPTEMBER FOR THE OTA. The Incredible had to queue behind the Droid 1. Get it? The 2.2 X Rom is done at this point. It has been test sent to devices otherwise it wouldn't be in the upgrade queue. They aren't going to meddle with it now and risk a bad OTA load.

<Directed at no one in particular. Just an observation from the blogs.>

Upvote 0
I went back to 2.1 and rooted. If the leaked update is 99% of the "real" update, I will be greatly disapointed. I had way more issues with apps, camera, video and other things. I hope that it is A LOT better than the leaked version. I also realize some people didnt have the issues I had but they are there.

The way software dev cycles work, it is. Your issues are your issues. Thousands more have no issues, like myself.

Upvote 0
The way software dev cycles work, it is. Your issues are your issues. Thousands more have no issues, like myself.

+1.... I have no issues with Froyo on my phone. Not a single fc, no market issues etc etc...
Why this is turning into such a debate baffles me, especially having the .sbf. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. I personally will keep my current 2.2 and wait for the official to be rooted, etc..

Upvote 0
I will wait for the OTA update.
I HATE this INFURIATING "You will get the update Icon Triangle notifier on your phone sometime after September 1st....that is all....deal with it!"
It is truly LOUSY customer service from what has always been a good company for ME to deal with.
It either IS ready or it is NOT ready.
My decision stands, but it will go down as a historic BAD decision for Verizon.
They did not need another one, so soon after bungling the manufacturing release for the Droid X in the first place.
I live in a suburb of a suburb of Montgomery, Alabama.
When the poor Fed Ex guy brought me my back-ordered Droid X, I realized it was a guy who I know fairly well from dozens of previous deliveries.
It was hot as hell, and I offered him some ice water to cool down in the shade.
Without me saying a word about the delivery, he said the following;
"Let me guess, that's a Droid X from Motorola?"
I said "Yep, been on back order for 3 weeks. Really happy i got it now!"
He said "Not since they came out with the first IPhones have we (FedEx) gotten such a hard time from impatient people with back-orders! I sure will be happy when there are enough of these things to go around! I see the same people running to their front doors and lawns, and then looking miserable as I go by. On some, I remember the house, and several days later I deliver a Droid X to them and their attitude is almost like they regret even buying one. It seems to me, that you just shouldn't do business that way."
And we are NOT a very large metropolitan area. Imagine how many people they got mad in the big cities.....
And now this GRAND decision to piss us all off even more with indefinite wait times backed by threats about manual upgrading.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Does anyone else see some hope in the announcement from Motorola:

WARNING: Do NOT load the leaked 2.2 upgrade that has been floating around on the Internets. There is currently no upgrade path from that load to the official 2.2 load that will be released by early September. Unless you have some plan to flash your phone back to the current official load, you could be stuck on the leaked version.

It says there "currently" is no upgrade path and you "could" be stuck with the leaked version.

It doesn't sound 100% to me like there will never be a patch or update available.

Upvote 0
"The Faceless Rebel" with all of the talk of being "ground under a vast corporate heel" and "they" and "those people" makes me laugh.

It's a phone. It's not a revolution.

Guys, please read sund0wn's posts again. Yes, it probably should have been worded better. But the reality is that there is a different software process to upgrade the leaked 2.2 phones - likely, the actual upgrade is different, but even if it means they just had to build sanity checks into the OTA update checker... Do you really think Moto is going to spend their resources on making sure the people who installed a leaked OS get their OTA upgrade? Or to validate that a leaked 2.2 -> final 2.2 upgrade is bug free (which I guarantee they would have to do prior to building the logic into the OTA checker to allow leaked 2.2 users to get the update)? Do you even know how much work validations like that are?

So they're giving you fair warning: you won't get the upgrade unless you're on stock 2.1.

That sounds pretty fair and reasonable to me.
So you are saying that even if someone post the OTA on internet, we who have the leak 2.2 on our phones, still won't be able to install it? We will still have to return to 2.1 no matter whether it's OTA, or an update.zip?:thinking:

Upvote 0
So you are saying that even if someone post the OTA on internet, we who have the leak 2.2 on our phones, still won't be able to install it? We will still have to return to 2.1 no matter whether it's OTA, or an update.zip?:thinking:

I'm not saying anything of the sort.

Motorola is saying you won't get the OTA. That's it. That's all they're saying.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will come up with a way to upgrade leak-2.2 phones to OTA-2.2 phones. All Motorola is saying is that there will be no way for you to officially do it.

Upvote 0
sorry but i use my phone with my corporate exchange and on 2.1 i cannot search corporate directory for a phone number, this was fixed in 2.2 and the leak fixed my phone. i will revert back to 2.1 only when 2.2 starts rolling out.
Exact same situation here. I just about had to load the leak, due to no notifications from my exchange mail.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying anything of the sort.

Motorola is saying you won't get the OTA. That's it. That's all they're saying.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will come up with a way to upgrade leak-2.2 phones to OTA-2.2 phones. All Motorola is saying is that there will be no way for you to officially do it.
Dude, just asking a question. No need to get riled up. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones