1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Upgrading a locked Android 4.4.2

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Johncoool, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Johncoool

Johncoool Newbie

I want to try to upgrade my Huawei Y560-U02 Android 4.4.2 to anything newer but it should at least be Android Lollipop.

I opened another thread in regards for this phone in order to get the firewall working on it but since that did not work I want to try to upgrade it properly.

I did not know the steps on how to do it properly and ended up causing some damage.
    There is a lot of information and steps on the internet and that is what lead to having some issues now.
    I have already backed up all the data that I need and ready to proceed.

So the Phone is Huawei Y56-U02 2015 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. The phone is locked.

Because I did not know that phones need to be unlocked first it caused damage to my boot recovery mode. I can't access it anymore as it would just get stuck in that. Otherwise the phone is booting normally.

What I will need is to find a way to unlock it which I understand can be done if I unlock bootloader.

Please provide me with the best tips and steps to get this done.

I did try to use the built in Huawei updater but that just installed a different version of the same Rom.

Locked phone I mean locked ROM.

#1 Johncoool, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

According to this
    https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_y560-7829.php
    You should be able to update to 5.1...
    Are you the original owner of the phone?
    If so an Ota update would be available, but also keep in mind that each carrier may or may not have the update to install.

MoodyBlues and GameTheory like this.
  3. Johncoool

Johncoool Newbie

Yes I am the owner of the phone. Locked meant that the ROM is locked.

I am not in the USA and currently I am not using it as a phone. So I am not registered with any carrier.

Thanks for the link. However I need a few more steps before I get to that.