1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Upgrading Android 2.2 Froyo to 3.0 Honeycomb on Samsung Galaxy Tab

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saikatrudra, May 17, 2011.

1. saikatrudra

saikatrudra Lurker
    None

May 16, 2011
    Hi All, need your help urgently.
    I wish to gift my wife with a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android 2.2 Froyo OS (Tab 10.1 with honeycomb not released in Asia yet) for our 1st anniversary.
    I have checked the features and it looks superb, except for 1 point which starts to drive a crazy, will i be able to upgrade to Honeycomb after its release? or some hardware constraints wont allow me to upgrade?
    If not, what are the major differences it will have between the 2 OS?
    I fear, with introduction of Honeycomb, all applications might be dedicated to OS 3.0 & above... in that case i will miss out all the android fun.
    Waiting for your quick responses.............. :(

Advertisement

2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab (7" version) may or may not ever get updated to 3.0.

Honeycomb is nice but it isn't really that much different or better than running 2.2 or 2.3. The UI looks a little different, and there is support for widgets that can utilize more of the screen real estate. I've ran honeycomb on my kid's Nook Color (also a 7" screen) and it wasn't a vast improvement.

If getting 3.0 is really important to you, then you should buy a tablet with 3.0+ loaded on it already. I hate to say it...but device manufacturers are not always reliable with providing timely updates. But my guess is that she will like a 2.2 tablet just as much as she would 3.0 tablet (especially with a 7" screen).