• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading from Eris early!

grooveguru

Nov 16, 2009
I think Verizon should allow Eris owners to upgrade to another phone at a discounted price if they choose to for the following reasons:

1.) EOL on the Eris at 7 mos?

2.) Numerous issues with the phone (Silent calls, dial lagging, trackball, etc.) that haven't been fixed with updates or have gotten worse.

3.) No more OS updates

The issue is that someone needs to be accountable for thousands of customers being unhappy with their purchase.

Thousands, really? Let's say you believe all the complaints on this forum (I'm including the exaggerations used to justify a free upgrade), I would bet you'd be hard pressed to find 100 or so unique people. Regardless, how many Eris' hav been sold - a few hundred thousand? At that rate, even a few thousand people with serious problems is only in the 1% category.
As far as being unhappy with their purchase, people can be unhappy for a lot of reasons. People are unhappy that the Eris is discontinued. People where unhappy waiting for the 2.1 rollout. People are unhappy the Eris won't be getting 2.2/3.0. People are unhappy with Sense. People are unhappy better phones have been released. Should someone be held accoutable for all unhappiness?
If you are having a problem with your phone did you ask Verizon to correct it? Have they fixed it or are they trying?

Upvote 0
Thousands, really? Let's say you believe all the complaints on this forum (I'm including the exaggerations used to justify a free upgrade), I would bet you'd be hard pressed to find 100 or so unique people. Regardless, how many Eris' hav been sold - a few hundred thousand? At that rate, even a few thousand people with serious problems is only in the 1% category.
As far as being unhappy with their purchase, people can be unhappy for a lot of reasons. People are unhappy that the Eris is discontinued. People where unhappy waiting for the 2.1 rollout. People are unhappy the Eris won't be getting 2.2/3.0. People are unhappy with Sense. People are unhappy better phones have been released. Should someone be held accoutable for all unhappiness?
If you are having a problem with your phone did you ask Verizon to correct it? Have they fixed it or are they trying?

Yes, I asked Verizon to correct my problem. You know what they told me? "We'll give you a refurbished Eris." Each refurbished phone that I have received has been just as bothersome as the one before it. I was really happy with the Eris before 2.1, and I am extremely unhappy now. In fact, when my phone will not let me call people and it doesn't ring when people call, I feel that I should not have to pay a portion of my phone bill that month. They have not fixed the issue, and their solution of giving me other refurbished Eris' that have probably been turned in for similar problems is not comforting, nor is it helpful. And when I say thousands, that is what I was told when I called them.

I switched to Verizon specifically for the Droid phones in November, and I was a happy camper until I got this update. I don't feel that good customer service means making the customer pay for something he/she can't use.

Reactions: catmoff
Upvote 0
Demache - I have that same redeeming feeling for the now discontinued Eris. While I don't think HTC put their best work into it IMHO it is an Android. After lugging around a Blackberry for a while, and before that a good old Motorola 'cell phone' I thought I had landed in Nirvana when I got my Eris...LOL! The performance, reliability, and the options are steadily improving every six months so I can be patient in between 'smart phones' now or just squeeze the value out of my Eris. I mean compared to where I was at just three years ago and all...

B

Upvote 0
Yes, I asked Verizon to correct my problem. You know what they told me? "We'll give you a refurbished Eris." Each refurbished phone that I have received has been just as bothersome as the one before it. I was really happy with the Eris before 2.1, and I am extremely unhappy now. In fact, when my phone will not let me call people and it doesn't ring when people call, I feel that I should not have to pay a portion of my phone bill that month. They have not fixed the issue, and their solution of giving me other refurbished Eris' that have probably been turned in for similar problems is not comforting, nor is it helpful. And when I say thousands, that is what I was told when I called them.

I switched to Verizon specifically for the Droid phones in November, and I was a happy camper until I got this update. I don't feel that good customer service means making the customer pay for something he/she can't use.

How many refurbs have you gone through? ...Some times you just have to "play the game." That is, you have to go 5 or 6 rounds in order for them to realize you would have been cheaper a few phones ago if they just upgraded you. Good customer service? No. Are they really worried if you walk after your contract? No. They simply want to make you as cheap as possible to their bottom line.

Call again, sound nice, try for nothing, but ask how getting another refurb will be any different than the last few. Finally - if your avatar is your pic you are obviously a pretty girl - go to a Verizon store and find a rep that smiles at you - then take it from there. ...or sit and complain and miss calls - it's up to you.

But you are right - you should not have to pay for something you cannot use.

Upvote 0
Finally - if your avatar is your pic you are obviously a pretty girl - go to a Verizon store and find a rep that smiles at you - then take it from there.

A more sexist comment would be hard to find
but I agree with it. :)

My wife and I have said many times, cute girls can get anything...
As others have noted before, being pleasant goes a long way also (my wife is cute, I have to be pleasant...)

Upvote 0
Finally - if your avatar is your pic you are obviously a pretty girl - go to a Verizon store and find a rep that smiles at you - then take it from there. ...or sit and complain and miss calls - it's up to you.

lol.
Most of Lauren's posts I have read are negative, in that she is unhappy with her phone.
but if there is one positive side to that, is that I like seeing her avatar every time she posts :eek:

Upvote 0
i felt the same way about my Eris till I got it rooted. Rooting may not be for everyone, but it made my phone usable.

I do agree that VZW obviously knows there is a problem and they are trying to deal with it in the cheapest manner possible. They do not want to lose customers. If a rep has a customer cancel a family account, that is lost revenue and they have to balance out the cost of keeping you vs. letting you go - which ever is cheaper for their bottom line.

Upvote 0
Each refurbished phone that I have received has been just as bothersome as the one before it.

Of course, you should be able to make and receive calls from a phone and you are obviously right that Verizon owes you this. The problem with many posts are terms like "unhappy", "bothersome", "dissatisifed", "laggy", etc.. Those only make a subjective argument.
How many refurb'd Eris' have you had? Is the make/receive call the only problem? Did you get the recent firmware upgrade in the last two weeks? If so, did you confirm this did not fix your issues?

Upvote 0

I suggest you go into verizon today & tell them that this is your 5th or 6th eris and you still have unresolved issues with the phone and you now want a different phone and I'd bet lots o money they let you walk out with a droid at no cost or a Droid INC or Droid X if you pay the difference.

Upvote 0
lol.
Most of Lauren's posts I have read are negative, in that she is unhappy with her phone.
but if there is one positive side to that, is that I like seeing her avatar every time she posts :eek:

Aww, hahah! I am not a negative person :( I am just sad that my Eris was awesome from Nov-May, and then I started having lots of problems. :( I was sooooo excited about getting my phone and thought it was so much fun. I keep saying to my friends that I really like the phone--I just wish it made calls reliably. I think the Eris is sleek and light, which is part of the reason why I picked it over the Droid.

This is also my first experience with a smartphone. I am on my 3rd Eris in 2 months, which is unusual for me, because I usually keep cell phones for a LONG time.

I still encourage all of my friends to get Android phones though :)

Upvote 0
I suggest you go into verizon today & tell them that this is your 5th or 6th eris and you still have unresolved issues with the phone and you now want a different phone and I'd bet lots o money they let you walk out with a droid at no cost or a Droid INC or Droid X if you pay the difference.

It is bittersweet--Verizon said they are sending me an LG Ally. Bitter because the Ally is not as lightweight and "cute" as my Eris, but sweet because maybe I will have better luck with the phone part of it.

My job requires that I keep my cell phone on during the day, and I have been missing lots of work calls, even after the recent OTA update, because the phone isn't ringing or making any notification sounds. That is probably the reason why I am the most annoyed--I get yelled at everyday when I go into work, "Why didn't you call us back?!" "My phone didn't ring!"

I am sad to see my 5megapixel camera and the lightweight body go. I really like HTC, and Verizon said they are holding me to my original contract date, so in a year, I will be up for my "New every 2." Maybe a really awesome HTC phone will be out then! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones