• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upgrading sd card

morph4290

Sep 16, 2010
Was thinking about upgrading my stock 2gb card to a 16 or 32 soon. So I have a few questions.

1)Since my Dinc is rooted, will I have to copy anything to the new card after formatting it, or should my phone remain unaffected?

2) I know there is class 2, 4, and 6, with each having faster read/write speeds and being quite a bit more $$$. Will those speeds really make much difference when being used in my phone for backups, random files, apps, and music or videos?

3) Can I copy my sd card files to my phone's internal memory and transfer them that way? Or do I need to transfer them through my computer?

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated.

Was thinking about upgrading my stock 2gb card to a 16 or 32 soon. So I have a few questions.

1)Since my Dinc is rooted, will I have to copy anything to the new card after formatting it, or should my phone remain unaffected?

As far as I know the SD card carries no system information, you can technically format the SD card and still be rooted and still have all your apps(unless they are moved to the SD card) YOUR BACKUPS ARE STORED ON THE SD CARD THOUGH!!! I mean your Answer is: Unaffected.

2) I know there is class 2, 4, and 6, with each having faster read/write speeds and being quite a bit more $$$. Will those speeds really make much difference when being used in my phone for backups, random files, apps, and music or videos? As mentioned above not a huge change through this phone.

3) Can I copy my sd card files to my phone's internal memory and transfer them that way? Or do I need to transfer them through my computer?

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated.

I would transfer files to PC and then transfer them from the PC to the new 16GB or 32GB MicroSD card. Then mount it back into the phone. But you could do it either way but you will drain some battery moving content from SD to Main, then from Main to SD.

Upvote 0
ok so your right about the classes the higher the class the faster it reads/ writes. but think of it this way. do you think you will be trying to read or write a file that is 1 gig all the time???? i dont think so. so you will not notice the different between the 3 except you wallet feeling a lot lighter. i have a 32 gig and i love it. i never run out of space and its great. as for transferring your data. i know clockwork stores a file on the sd card so you will have to move that one for sure. there might be others but i never really looked into it. make sure though once you get your card to format it to FAT32 before you start moving files on it or you will find out the card not working after all the hard work.

Upvote 0
I got a class 6 16gb card on ebay for $45 shipped. Its great: HD video seems to be less blurry when panning/scanning, and the camera images seem to collect cleaner (less distortion due to movement) I would have prefered a 32gb card, but by transfering my videos to my laptop and only keeping the ones I want to show off, 16gb is plenty for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones