• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading SD card

Just want to add my 2ct:

I recently wanted to update to a 16GB card. However I had severe issues. Sometimes the card was recognized, sometimes not and Hero was saying the card would be damaged. When I plugged it in again, it was recognized again, etc.

I then contacted HTC support and they told me that they recommend to use not more than 8GB on the Hero as it would not behave stable with more GB.

Upvote 0
IS there any easy way to test the class?

The card will have either a (4) or (6) printed on it if it meets the Class 4 or Class 6 specs. If it's unmarked then assume Class 2.

swapping a card..as simple as backup/copy everything to desktop, format new card in phone, copy it all back ?

Yup. Unless you've rooted and installed Apps2SD only application data e.g. settings, downloaded content etc is stored on the card. Copy all the folders from the old to the new and the apps will find them as before.

Upvote 0
can anyone help me? im having an issue that is frankly pissing me off. i just bought a class 6 16 gig card for my eris just so i can have more storage and speed. so i copied the files from my standard 8 gig sd card then i unmounted, put in the new card, formatted it. before and after the format(thinking because the card is empty) it says damaged sd card. then plugged the phone in, went to notification bar the the option for mount wasnt there. i am rooted with 2.1 and have done this with my friends phone as well because he did not know how to transfer cards. i did his through my phone and did not encounter a problem. so now...idk what could be the issue. i tried restarting the phone, a whole bunch and i cant get it to be able to mount. .any thoughts?

Upvote 0
can anyone help me? im having an issue that is frankly pissing me off. i just bought a class 6 16 gig card for my eris just so i can have more storage and speed. so i copied the files from my standard 8 gig sd card then i unmounted, put in the new card, formatted it. before and after the format(thinking because the card is empty) it says damaged sd card. then plugged the phone in, went to notification bar the the option for mount wasnt there. i am rooted with 2.1 and have done this with my friends phone as well because he did not know how to transfer cards. i did his through my phone and did not encounter a problem. so now...idk what could be the issue. i tried restarting the phone, a whole bunch and i cant get it to be able to mount. .any thoughts?

Hi, do you have a dedicated SDHC reader you can use? I did a similar thing to you and initially formatted the new card on the phone. When trying to see it in Windows (using a normal card reader) it would appear then disappear. When I used the new card in the phone and connected to my laptop via USB, I found copying files really slow.

After much head-scratching and a little research, I realized I should be using a card reader specifically for SHDC (luckily I had one). Connected the card to my laptop (using the SDHC reader), formatted to FAT32 ... and my problems just went away.

Its worth a shot. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones