• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading the "Big Computer"

Mehta23

Android Expert
Nov 28, 2011
England,UK
gadgetblur.com
For some reason , this "beast" is often called the big computer in my house.

Specs as I know it :

1.6GHz AMD Sempron Sing Core
80GB HDD
1GB standard RAM
A PSU of some kind
Standard CD Drive

I was thinking of keeping this as I porbably wouldnt be able to sell it.
Question is , would upgrading anything be cost-effective and beneficial for the PC?

I was thinking of getting a 4GB RAM
Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Getting a new mobo and a new CPU is a bit expensive so I might leave that?

Mabye a SSD?
OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G Agility 3 60GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

From the specs, it looks to be a bit dated. Very similar to the specs on your DHD!
Really depends on your usage. Are you just web browsing, or do you need more power for gaming or other hardware intense tasks?
More RAM would certainly help, and it's quite cheap these days. At least in the states, a new PC (especially desktops) are really low in cost. A new tower with 4Gb+ of RAM, 500Gb+ HDD and a Intel i3+ processor can go for ~$500 (or even less).

Upvote 0
Thanks. We need to identify exactly what DDR you have. DDR2 will not be compatible with DDR3, DDR3 not with DDR etc. They all use different power so we have to match the DDR type.

Also we want 400mhz really. Where as we can use faster RAM, it will either run At 400 or will run too fast for the cpu. Buying RAM is not a simple task

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
I may have accidentally ordered the wrong ram. By the time I realised it had already been dispatched...

Also didn't realise that I bought it from a buyer other than amazon, so returning it might be a hassle...

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do with it ?

Then I managed to get that Big Computer up and running , and Dl'd CPU-Z.

Upvote 0
With 2 Gb ram and a 1.6GHz provessor it meets the minimum requirements for Win8 (Personally I'd ditch Microsoft on a PC that old and install linux download some Live ISOs and burn them to CD/DVD and see what you like. These are some easy to live with ones to try:

Mint, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, They each have several desktops. For an older PC, the XFCE, LXDE or Enlightenment(E17)desktops are much less resource hungry.

Upvote 0
This is why I asked for screen shots. I was going to help you buy the correct RAM :eek::thinking:

But yeah old RAM is expensive...

That right there is my signature I'm-still-a-stupid-kid move.

I should be ok to sell that, but is getting an extra 1GB of ram on the big computer worth it still?

Actually found this :
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=330799561334

So for my mum, would Linux be any harder to learn than win 7/8?
Would it be compatible with Office?

Upvote 0
Not Microsoft Office, no, but you have libre office (which you can download for windows as well), a open source freeware full featured suite of programs. Formerly known as open office.

Don't know about Windows8, but I run Linux mint lxde and find it really nice and straight forward to use. Load it on a usb stick, and boot up the computer via the bootable usb to try it out before you commit to anything. You'll run Linux off the usb, without having to install anything on your harddrive.

Upvote 0
Well I resurrected my family's first pc from the year 2000.. it had 64MB ram, 20GB hdd and a 750MHz durron amd.. i gave that 756MB ram which was its max and then a new hard drive so it ran 150 GB instead, and then donated it to my church which they have their secretary use to write up things. It has no internet access and it runs better than it did when it was new with windows ME on it

so I think you could bring your "big" computer back from the past and make it somewhat relevant

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
Upgrading depends upon the uses of your computer. Suppose you want to play HD games with high graphics then it's good to upgrade your computer as efficiency and processing speed will be increased .If you want to upgrade your computer go to best laptop/desktop IT support center. They will upgrade the configuration as per on your requirements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones