• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading to 2.1 with an Unlocked Hero on O2 (UK)

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I've been having trouble finding the solution to this online

I have an unlocked HTC Hero and i'm using an O2 Sim in it. (The actual handset itself is Orange branded)

I'm on firmware version 1.5 but want to upgrade to 2.1 - I haven't received any prompts to do so whatsoever, and there doesn't seem to be any upgrade facility within the phone itself.

How do I get to 2.1?

Thanks in advance

I bought my HTC Hero Sim Free and was also on O2 (I'm now on Vodafone, but that was after I upgraded to 2.1). Here is the steps I had to take to get Android 2.1 on my device.

It is a 3 step process for you...
1. Upgrade to version 1.6 via HTC website
2. Once on 1.6, a Pre2.1 update should arrive over the air immediately
3. Request a "System Software Update" from your Phone for Android 2.1 over the air

More detail below...

First... to get the Pre2.1 update (Second step here) you have to have flashed your ROM to the 1.6 version that was posted on the HTC website back in 2009. If you google and go here "htc.com europe support page" you will see two recent news items ... the item titled "Update – HTC Hero Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update (First Package) " has a link on the second line to the new ROM. NOTE: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE AND ALL YOUR DATA ON THE PHONE (not the SD Card though)... backup first using MyBackup or similar. You will need your Hero to be cabled up to your PC for this.

The next two steps can be performed over WiFi or HSPA (WiFi would be best so not to hurt your data plan), but still best to be plugged into a charger while doing it.

Second... once you have completed the first part above, the Pre2.1 update should arrive by notification over the air pretty much immediately. This is a safe update that will not wipe settings or data, it can take quite a bit of time, so just trust the update and let it complete. Once complete you will have a new setting within Menu/Settings/About Phone called System Software Updates.

Third... Select "Menu/Settings/About Phone/System Software Updates" and then press "Check now" and the Android 2.1 update shall arrive over the air. Again follow the instructions and trust the update to complete, it pauses at around 75% for a while. This will not wipe Settings or Data but the Scenes will be lost, and you'll need to reconfigure your home screens... no big deal.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I bought my HTC Hero Sim Free and was also on O2 (I'm now on Vodafone, but that was after I upgraded to 2.1). Here is the steps I had to take to get Android 2.1 on my device.

It is a 3 step process for you...
1. Upgrade to version 1.6 via HTC website
2. Once on 1.6, a Pre2.1 update should arrive over the air immediately
3. Request a "System Software Update" from your Phone for Android 2.1 over the air

I'm not sure which firmware you're recommending he upgrades to in step 1. Orange branded phones need this firmware before they can receive 2.1 OTA.

Check your build number in Settings >> About Phone and it will most likely be a different number to the one I linked to (2.73.61.66).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones