• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading to Droid then selling it?

z0mghii

Lurker
Oct 1, 2011
Hello,

Currently my parents have 2 lines that are eligible for upgrade at the moment. Both my parents do not know how to use smart phones nor do they wish to own one. They are completely fine with their feature phone at the moment, and the current feature phones that are out for Verizon do not satisfy their taste. They are fine with staying on their old phones and don't plan to upgrade.

I was thinking, why waste the two upgrade lines? Ebay is currently selling a bunch of droid bionics for about $500 each. Would it be logical to upgrade their two feature phones to Droid Bionics (Both $250 a piece), but not activate the two phones?

tldr; Is it possible to upgrade two features phones to two smart phones and then sell the two smart phones and go back to the two feature phones without paying data?

would the vzw store require that you activate them right then and there upon the upgrade? that would be the only possible problem i could think of. that and if they automatically start to charge your parents for the data plan right away since they are upgrading to a bionic (even tho not gonna use it). those are the only issues i see getting in your way. as long as you feel you're parents would be okay with their current phones for 2 more years, i dont see a problem. then again, if they have cheap phones and they break, they'll be pretty cheap to replace i'd imagine.

Upvote 0
The problem is is that you need to use an upgrade on your account (and therefor renewing to a new 2 year contract). The phones will be activated right then and there, they won't just let you use an upgrade and not activate.

Even if they did, you just upgraded to a new 2 year contract with the Bionic(s) and would be breaking your contract if you decide to remove them, including the data plans etc., which is then $350 for an Early Termination Fee.

People have thought about doing this in the past, and well, it doesn't quiet work out. VZW isn't THAT stupid :p

Upvote 0
The problem is is that you need to use an upgrade on your account (and therefor renewing to a new 2 year contract). The phones will be activated right then and there, they won't just let you use an upgrade and not activate.

Even if they did, you just upgraded to a new 2 year contract with the Bionic(s) and would be breaking your contract if you decide to remove them, including the data plans etc., which is then $350 for an Early Termination Fee.

People have thought about doing this in the past, and well, it doesn't quiet work out. VZW isn't THAT stupid :p

I just did a more thorough google search and came across this:
http://community.vzw.com/t5/Voice-and-Broadband-Calling/Selling-upgrade-phone/td-p/669289

What do you guys think? I know for sure you can deactivate your phone after reactivating it by activating another phone (I have done this before).

The only thing I'm afraid of right now is that they will make me stay on a 2 GB data plan for both phones after deactivating the smart phones. I believe this is highly unlikely though. Can anyone confirm?

Upvote 0
You can do what you've proposed. (Upgrade to smartphones and immediately go back to the basic phones.)

If you're going to a store to do this, just tell the rep you want to use the upgrade for the Bionics, but want to put the basic phones back on the lines after the upgrade. You will NOT keep the data packages on those lines. If the rep won't do it, it's because he/she won't make as much for you taking the smart phones off. He/she may give you some excuse; if so, get someone else to do it. Keep in mind, though, that your parents won't be able to upgrade those lines for another 20 months once you do this.

The only snag you might run into is if you're on some old legacy plan. If so, you may have to change the plan in order to "activate" the smart phones. Even if you're not going to keep them on there, the order can't be processed until you do.

Finally, make sure your parents are cool with this. Worst case is you do this, sell the phones within 14 days and your parents decide they need/want something new. You may be using that profit from the Bionics to keep them happy! :D

Upvote 0
Yes, can be done. I do this with my husbands line (in my name). He uses a dumb phone and I like smartphones. So i upgrade his line to whatever phone I want, then put his old phone back on his line. Not a big deal.

Im doing It again in January to get the new Blackberry. I make sure his current phone is in good condition, and I have a spare dumb phone around too in case he breaks his current.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones