• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading to the SGS via Amazon

Hey Everybody,

I have been searching here a couple of days now, since I cant seem to find my answer, I am going to venture an ask. Yes I have tried the "search" function :D

The rundown. I am currently with Att, running the HTC Kaiser out of contract. I have finally had it with that POS.

I did a trial of about a week with Verizon and the Droid, I loved the phone and Android is freaking amazing! But they didnt have data coverage in a lot of the areas I go. So I switched back but didnt renew a contract. I am thinking I am stuck with att for now.

I see the Galaxy S is .01 with a new account and with existing its $79.99. I am getting ready to move to a new area and might consider getting a local number. So basically ....

A. Would it be worth getting a new number to get the phone for "free" ?

B. Would it be a safe bet to commit for another 2 years with the Galaxy S, without 6 months from now having buyers regret?

C. With all the problem units I am reading about does anyone know how good amazon is about keeping their customers happy, and if so could I go to an actual Att store for service?

I just drive myself crazy thinking I will regret committing to it, if there is something better I am not seeing or know about coming up. :)

ANY input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!:cool:

~Nick

Hey Everybody,

I have been searching here a couple of days now, since I cant seem to find my answer, I am going to venture an ask. Yes I have tried the "search" function :D

The rundown. I am currently with Att, running the HTC Kaiser out of contract. I have finally had it with that POS.

I did a trial of about a week with Verizon and the Droid, I loved the phone and Android is freaking amazing! But they didnt have data coverage in a lot of the areas I go. So I switched back but didnt renew a contract. I am thinking I am stuck with att for now.

I see the Galaxy S is .01 with a new account and with existing its $79.99. I am getting ready to move to a new area and might consider getting a local number. So basically ....

A. Would it be worth getting a new number to get the phone for "free" ?

B. Would it be a safe bet to commit for another 2 years with the Galaxy S, without 6 months from now having buyers regret?

C. With all the problem units I am reading about does anyone know how good amazon is about keeping their customers happy, and if so could I go to an actual Att store for service?

I just drive myself crazy thinking I will regret committing to it, if there is something better I am not seeing or know about coming up. :)

ANY input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!:cool:

~Nick

I think if you buy from an 3rd party retailer you dont get the 1 year warranty that you get when you buy from att store. I would wait to see if samsung and att do the froyo gps update in sept succesfully.

Upvote 0
I was afraid to hear that. I guess if I have dealt with my kaiser this long, a while longer isnt going to kill me. I really appreciate your input. *crosses fingers for update*

Yeah I had an captivate before had to return it because at the time samsung hadn't announced if they were going to release an gps fix. Right now i am actually still waiting for amazon to refund me my money and give me back my two year contract so far it hasnt happened i am kind of worried sent my phone back july 26. I dont know if buying from 3rd party retailer to save 20 bucks is actually worth it , it can be more of a hassle then its worth

Upvote 0
Buying from a 3rd party has no affect on manufacturer's warranty on any device.

Delling with a 3rd party may be another story. I have never dealt with Amazon, I know when I checked the other day, wirefly had the device for $9 and Wal-Mart.com had it for $49. I have bought from wirefly twice and even returned one to at&t after a manufacturer's defect issue about 6 weeks later.

I would easily buy from Wal-Mart, Wirefly, Best Buy, not sure I would do Amazon.

Upvote 0
Buying from a 3rd party has no affect on manufacturer's warranty on any device.

Delling with a 3rd party may be another story. I have never dealt with Amazon, I know when I checked the other day, wirefly had the device for $9 and Wal-Mart.com had it for $49. I have bought from wirefly twice and even returned one to at&t after a manufacturer's defect issue about 6 weeks later.

I would easily buy from Wal-Mart, Wirefly, Best Buy, not sure I would do Amazon.

You got lucky. I heard of people just going to AT&T to transfer their contacts and they wouldn't help because the phone was not bought through AT&T.

All phones do get a one year warranty however, it's just AT&T isn't covering you if you don't buy from them (although you could get lucky). After the one month from where you bought it, it goes over to Samsung.

This was confirmed when I called into AT&T, Wirefly, Letstalk and Amazon to find out.

Upvote 0
Sucks that AT&T wont support their customers and the devices they selves, nor give their customers the best price, I just hate shelling out 200 for a phone when committing again for 2 years. I really hope the GPS problem is software, cause I will use that function on my phone more than anything else I imagine. Since I have been using my htc Kaiser (tilt) since the Iphone first came out and was $300, I guess a month or two more wont hurt anything.

I really appreciate everyones input. Y'all are awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones