1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Upside down question mark appearing where a return/enter should be in some texts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tdjohnson7700, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Tdjohnson7700

Tdjohnson7700 Lurker

I am using Samsung 9 on Verizon. I also tried texting on a Samsung 10+ and the recipient saw it happen as well

I have just recently found out that when I send texts to some users with iPhones and also samsung note 9 on AT&T, they will sometimes see upside down question Mark's where I pressed return. I even had a report of one seeking this who was on consumer cellular.

I have tried using the Messages+ app and the native messages app.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I have searched the forums and did not find anything.
    Please help!!

Thank you

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Someone is using something Spanish?

AFAIK inverted question mark is usually only used in the Spanish language. Why it's appearing in your messages, no real ideas.

marctronixx likes this.
  3. Tdjohnson7700

Tdjohnson7700 Lurker

I don't speak Spanish.

I think the issue is so new that people don't know it is happening unless the receiver tells them.

Seems to be mostly when texts are going from verizon to at&t.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

does it show up on your end? or is it only seen on the receiver's end? have you tried clearing cache for the message app?

5. Tdjohnson7700

Tdjohnson7700 Lurker

I have tried clearing cache

It only shows up.on the recipients side.

It seems to happen most when using text shortcuts

6. ocnbrze

odd....i do not have this issue on my noite 10+. what message app are you using?

and just to be clear, the upside question mark does not appear on your conversation screen showing both sides of the conversation....correct?

7. Tdjohnson7700

Tdjohnson7700 Lurker

I have used Verizon Medsaged + app and red native samsung Messages app.

I do not see the upside down question marks on my side. The recipient does on their side

I happens more often when I use text shortcuts. But it has also happened when I am just typing a message

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Maybe clear the cache of the keyboard, it might be simple as that.

marctronixx and ocnbrze like this.
  9. Tdjohnson7700

Tdjohnson7700 Lurker

Thank you for your response. I have cleared the cache from the keyboard and the app. It is still giving me the problem. I have reported to Verizon-they say they are working on it.

Is there anyone else experiencing this issue?

marctronixx likes this.
  10. Milo Willamson

Not at all, maybe you are having like a glitch somewhere on your homescreen keyboard.

marctronixx likes this.
  11. jbear94

jbear94 Lurker

I am having this exact problem as well. It does not appear to have a pattern or exact character that triggers it

12. olbriar

olbriar  

Hello jbear94 and welcome to Android Forums. I see that this tread was either not resolved or updated after a solution was or was not found. In searching for the problem elsewhere I found it to be a topic on Verizon's discussion board as well as here. Sadly, I have yet to find a solution for you. Please tell us what phone you are using as well as carrier. Are you using the stock texting app or another? Is the error only associated with Verizon to iPhone texts? It is an interesting and I'm sure frustrating problem you are experiencing.

13. Erica P

Erica P Lurker

Hello, I am having this exact issue as well Tdjohnson7700- I recently discovered that when I text certain people my website link that upside down question marks are appearing on the end of it, so that when they click on the link it does not work properly. I have a newer Moto g6 phone and use Tracfone. I too have attempted several troubleshooting steps, including trying 3 different texting apps, updating to the latest software, and clearing the cache. Also I have contacted tech support for both the phone and the carrier, neither of which could pinpoint the problem. They advised to factory reset my phone but I have not tried that yet. Any advice or help would be much appreciated- I would love to get this issue resolved!

14. marctronixx

this is for the android note, so steps taken here may not be compatible with your device.

if you've reached out to tech support and they advise a factory reset , then perhaps you should heed their advice.

15. Erica P

Erica P Lurker

Just an update, I did do a factory reset on my phone and that did not fix the problem.

16. marctronixx

we know the operating system is not a fault because everyone will be affected.since its happening to a handful of users rather than hundreds of thousands, its most likely an app that is not compatible with the current OS.

assuming you did a factory reset , if you restored from a prior backup, you are simply restoring the problem back onto the device.

in order to rule out which app is causing your issue, you should factory reset and reinstall your apps one by one to find the culprit.

ocnbrze likes this.
  17. Erica P

Erica P Lurker

Thanks, marctronixx. That is the best advice I have gotten so far. It sounds like it is an issue with others too, not just my phone. One of the recipients that was receiving the messages with the question marks said that she has been receiving messages like that (with the upside down question marks) from another 3rd person that texts her as well.

marctronixx likes this.
  18. marctronixx

yeah to me it just sounds like an app that is not compatible currently. i know this is tedious but that is really the only way to get to the bottom of it.

ocnbrze likes this.
  19. Milo Willamson

Maybe it is the Google keyboard app hmmm.. Tell us more on whats up.

ocnbrze and marctronixx like this.
  20. Erica P

Erica P Lurker

Hey again marctronixx, I was wondering if I do another factory reset to install back one app at a time to find the culprit, how to account for the fact that several apps are installed by default from the beginning? Did you just mean to try one texting app at a time? Also, I am beginning to wonder if the problem isn't my phone but the others, if she is receiving messages with the inverted question marks from other people in addition to me? I have had the problem show up on recipients with both android and Iphones.

Milo Williamson, what other info could I give you that would help?

Thanks again!

marctronixx likes this.
  21. marctronixx

if this is only occurring during texting someone, have you changed the keyboard? for example i use swiftkey beta i have no issues as like you describe and i text people from different carriers.

since no one on the internet can see your device, its going to be very difficult to offer some help as each persons phone is set up differently. you will have to take time to investigate on your own to come up with viable solutions to help you. obviously this issue was not happening before so something has changed. its most likely an app but will be difficult to pinpoint over the internet.

ocnbrze likes this.
  22. ocnbrze

one suggestion before you factory reset. maybe try the phone in safe mode. you should be able to text in safe mode. if it does not happen in safe mode then it will have to be an app that is installed. if it does still happen in safe mode, then it could be either some bug in the software which a factory reset should fix it or something going on other phones.

marctronixx likes this.