• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Urgent-ish advice/recommendations please

Looking for suggestions for a substitute/replacement for my beloved G(8) power lite. For me it has been the perfect phone. I've had and loved not one but two of them - the first came to me by the kindness of strangers* and the second was a very lucky as-new eBay buy. I bought the identical model as a spare because I was completely happy with the first but it had started being sulky about charging; the lead wobbled in the port. I could still get it to charge, but only by very pernickity positioning and then not breathing in the same room (preferably not in the same house, or county...) until it was charged.

After a while the "spare" became my main phone. This time I was ultra careful connecting/disconnecting, and I don't go for cheap leads (poor value for money), and it doesn't get thrown in my bag to be jiggled and buffetted very often at all - but after a happy year-ish, I'm seeing the same with this one. Honestly, I'd replace with the same again, it's been so good - but on eBay I've seen a few with the same problem. (One described as "in perfect working order", charges perfectly as long as you're careful to get the charging lead at the right angle(!) ... and then I saw there were others.) It must the model, not my clumsiness after all.

So now I'm looking for something that will
(i) be perfect;
(ii) last for ever;
(iii) cost nothing...

I don't habitually keep up with the market or reviews, I just do my research thoroughly when I need to. I've started looking on Back Market, Amazon and eBay, but you lot will save me a lot of time researching. :)
My son mentioned the Moto G31 but he's into "good" rather than "value over time" and I think he's basing that on features, rather than reviews from people who have tried it for longer than a couple of weeks.

Criteria:
  1. My preference is always refurb (or even better "new other"/"as new" of course).
  2. and as I say, thinking long term - spend now to avoid spending again until I really can't not.
  3. My budget is zero. Yeah, right. Let's say around £100. I don't imagine there's anyone into phones and knowledgeable about buying them (ie anyone on here) who knows much about that price bracket! I do find myself willing to go above that if I'm really certain of a wise choice - and if I'm sure it's a good investment, I'll even buy new. Actually I have seen a refurbished power lite for £128, but I'm reluctant that I can't trust the charging port. Also no idea how many apps will break when Android 10 goes out of fashion - I hope not to change the phone again for a long while.
  4. Highest priority, probably screen quality and reliability.
  5. Speed is nice too, but I'm not the most impatient person in the world and I don't often stream or game.
  6. Next would come weight as I have painful hands from too much thumbtyping, especially in the last year since the laptop became less accessible forcing me to default to the phone. (But I'm resigned to nothing being great that way so maybe not worth mentioning.)
  7. And then audio quality, as phone calls are pretty terrible with rural wifi (wifi calling) and almost no cell signal.

I've pretty much decided to get myself a 1TB SD card too, for simplicity as I'm having trouble with backup and sync in general (long story and off topic!). So storage capacity doesn't matter very much.

I can recommend the Mi Store app for daily, weekly and seasonal discounts and offers on new but often replaced models with excellent specs and software as good as any, for around that money.

I'm sure more here will have recommendations.

You can still get a FHD screen and decent performance, with further updates for usually at least 2 years.

(EDITED from previous post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Personally, from my own experience, I can nake a recommendation that fills most of your requirements.

It is the device that is my daily driver cellphone.

The Moto e.

It cost me about $120 USD (isnt that close to £100?) brand new, and is manufacturer unlocked.

It has a nice display, and the battery lasts the day.

The largest SD card it can accomidate is 512GB.
I recommend using SD cards of small capacity, due to the higher failure rate of high capacity cards.

2GB RAM, and 32GB internal memory.

The sound quality is rather nice for this price point, especially when paired with the built in Audio Effects system and a bluetooth or wired sound system.

There is a 3.5mm headphone jack, and the charging cord is Micro USB.

There is a fingerprint sensor on the back as well.

This phone is, however, a bit heavy in my opinion when a glass screen protector and rubber surround are installed.
It is still lighter than many other devices used by my friends and workmates- it is just a bit larger and has a bit more weight than my previous devices.

Nite-Ize makes an excellent case that gives remarkable protection and is large enough to accomodate the rubber surround and screen protector.

The manufacturer claims that the device is splash resistant, whatever that 'really' means.

I do like the device, and would like another when the time comes.

As for lasting forever, the batteries in mobile devices are designed to last about two years.
Unfortunately, the devices must hace a working battery, as they run off the battery and not the charger.
Plug a phone with a junk (or no) battery into a charger, and the phone will still not work.

I feel that this is designed to eventually force us to replace devices.

Anyway, I like my Moto e and it answers most of your requirements.
I have had just over a year with mine so far.

By the way, if you dont have reason for an unlocked model, this device can be had for less than half of what I paid- but it will be locked for use with just one carrier.

Upvote 0
Such bad manners, to ask and then drop you! While here you were giving great replies. I have better than the best excuse, involving illness (of my devices, my internet, and myself), bugs, and other surprises. Long story, and if I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

But still. Sorry.

It'll be a while, but I'll definitely come back and update you when I do buy. I haven't even been able to start the phone hunt yet - but you've given me exactly what i hoped, a springboard from which to begin. @Madd63 and @puppykickr, thank you!

Now - fingers crossed that at least one means of communication keeps working long enough to choose another and set it up.

Upvote 0
Just browsing here on Argos and Amazon in the UK...
The Oppo A96 4g (A ninety - six) on Amazon is amazing value at the moment at £129.
I would keep an eye on it when you're ready to buy.
https://amzn.eu/d/dLzltAL
The specs are great and it was only released this March. Very good brand and software (part of the company that also make OnePlus and Vivo phones).

https://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_a96-11434.php

https://www.oppo.com/uk/smartphones/series-a/a96/

I notice it's a deal of the day direct from Oppo, so I don't know what price it will become.

It's going to be difficult to match or know all your preferences, but you listed many.

Also, personally and I would vouch most people here, I wouldn't waste money on a 1tb sd card even later on, though your thoughts may have changed on that.
It will give you nothing but heartache; however a higher speed usb flash drive may fit the bill better. I have a good 128gb SanDisk one with a usb - C plug which slides out one end, and a Usb - A plug for a laptop on the other end. There are other options out there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ul...ocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-381707152997&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones