• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help URGENT pls: It says "No backup found"

batemanjj

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
Hi ,

Suddenly my phone (Lenova Legion Duel) stopped working and I had to factory reset. I have my whatsapp backed up at regular intervals to my 100GB google drive. After resetting my phone and restoring from google account, all the apps got installed along with whatsapp. But when I try to configure whatsapp, it says "No backup found" even though I used same google account and same SIM card (same number). Pls see the below screenshot. I also checked my google drive and noticed that it has "whatsapp" backup as well.

Also, tried it on different new Phone with same google account and same SIM but got the same result!

Appreciate any quickest possible reply with a solution!

Many thanks and Best regards,
Bateman J

upload_2022-8-11_13-31-42.png

upload_2022-8-11_13-32-49.png

Hi ,

Suddenly my phone (Lenova Legion Duel) stopped working and I had to factory reset. I have my whatsapp backed up at regular intervals to my 100GB google drive. After resetting my phone and restoring from google account, all the apps got installed along with whatsapp. But when I try to configure whatsapp, it says "No backup found" even though I used same google account and same SIM card (same number). Pls see the below screenshot. I also checked my google drive and noticed that it has "whatsapp" backup as well.

Also, tried it on different new Phone with same google account and same SIM but got the same result!

Bateman J

View attachment 163549

View attachment 163550
If you stopped before going any further with the re-activation of WA when it didn't find any Google Backups, I would suggest re-installing the app (I've seen that people install the app BEFORE adding the pertinent Google account). You can use WA without Google Backup but once WA is being used and then add the Google account for it, no backup will be restored. Check the date of your backup in Google Drive.

If you used WA before the backup was restored, I'm afraid it may have been overwritten already, thus losing your chats. Happened to me once and lost over 3 years of beautiful chats with my wife :)

As I always suggest: do a WA Google backup just before transferring or restoring WA to another phone and WAIT until it finishes. WA backups are done local to the internal storage daily, but to Google Drive once a week (if enabled). Depending on the amount of chats and media, and your internet connection, it can take from 1-2 minutes to even half hour or more, depending if you also are backing up videos. Good luck!!!

Upvote 0
Can you describe step-by-step what you have done? In principle there should be a "restore" option in WhatsApp that will connect to Google Drive, locate the backup and restore from there, so it would be good to get explicit confirmation that you are seeing that button when you are "configuring" WhatsApp and that it is looking at Drive rather than just your local directories (which will not contain anything after a factory reset).

Since you say you can see a backup on Google Drive (assuming it has something in it!) then this has to be a question of getting your phone to access Drive via WhatsApp. One thing I would do though: turn off any automatic backing-up to Google Drive until you have managed to restore your chats and media. It will only store one backup on Drive (the latest), so you don't want that to get overwritten in the meanwhile!

A bit late for this now, but I always advise keeping your own copy of any important backup rather than just trusting some corporation's server to do things. Hence I do every now and then back all of my data up from my phone to a computer or local drive, which will include local WhatsApp backups.

Upvote 0
WhatsApp relies upon its own proprietary texting protocol. And the WhatsApp app includes its own backup option. That WhatsApp backup applies to the chat messages for WhatsApp only. It's important to distinguish there's a difference between just the WhatsApp app itself and the text messages that you've sent/received.
The backup and restore you do to your Google Drive account worked out as its designed to. It did restore the WhatsApp app. But those WhatsApp messages were not because unless you use the WhatsApp app to make backups of the messages themselves, they're now lost.
So no the backups you're doing to do your Google Drive are not full, comprehensive backups of your entire user account data and your phone. The Google backup feature is based on Google apps and services.
While it would be a big plus to all Android users if Google would simply elaborate in clear obvious phrasing that its backup option is so limited but instead we're stuck with having to make up our own backup solutions.

Upvote 0
Hi ,

Bateman J

View attachment 163549

View attachment 163550
Hi, did you fix it by any chance? i lost my phone and when i reinstalled whatsapp no backup was found in my google drive even though i'm sure i had one :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones