1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

URL rewrite rule?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by clskier, Feb 4, 2014.

1. clskier

clskier Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2014
    I'd like to find a way to limit my daughters Youtube viewing on her Nexus 7 to only curated channels we white list. Youtube for schools seems to do just this. I set up an admin account and am at step 2 which sets up a rewrite rule on our home network. I'd rather set the rule on her tablet, so no matter where she goes it will direct her to our curated list. Is there a way to do this on the Nexus (possible by modifying the host file)?

Note: She's six, she's not seeking out improper videos, but even an innocent search for "princess videos" can come up with anything.

i.e. youtube instructions state:
    Option A: Add new HTTP header rule
    Please modify your hardware filter or proxy server settings so that all outgoing traffic to youtube.com contains the following custom HTTP header. The ID to use in the HTTP header configuration, written below, is unique to your school's network only. If your school is blocked at the district level, this HTTP header is then unique to the district network.

X-YouTube-Edu-Filter:XYZxyz

Option B: Create URL parameter rewrite rule
    If your firewall or filter does not support HTTP header modification, please rewrite all outgoing URLs to youtube.com by appending the parameter

Advertisement

2. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

May 2, 2012
    Male
    Student
    USA
    You could try to find a way to set up a set of firewall rules to block all outgoing traffic to YouTube for that specific device except for a whitelist of videos you approve. However, I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that

GuitarG20 and Unforgiven like this.
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    palmtree5 likes this.