• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

US GS3 Core Conspiracy Theory

heavychevy

Android Expert
Jun 12, 2010
Many have speculated that the reason we don't have quad core on the us gs3 versions is that the lte didn't play well with it. Yet here we are a few months later, wit the note 2 bouncing in with its quad core. .Were we tricked so that Samsung could exploit buy happy US for two major phones releases in one year. Many pointed to how close the s3 was released to the s2 and the lack of support that followed (delay of ics until after released)

In other news, Samsung galaxy s4 expected in Feb...... (sarcasm off)

Thoughts?

Many have speculated that the reason we don't have quad core on the us gs3 versions is that the lte didn't play well with it. Yet here we are a few months later, wit the note 2 bouncing in with its quad core. .Were we tricked so that Samsung could exploit buy happy US for two major phones releases in one year. Many pointed to how close the s3 was released to the s2 and the lack of support that followed (delay of ics until after released)

In other news, Samsung galaxy s4 expected in Feb...... (sarcasm off)

Thoughts?

Evolution, progress, call it what you want, a company has to do a lot of logistics to get the phone specs decided, into production, quality tested, shipped etc ... so unless you know how the LTE quad core setup was doing in R&D, at the time that the decision was made to go with a working dual core setup, its a pretty pointless exercise debating it.

Upvote 0
The exynos CPU in the S3 doesn't support the frequency bands used in the US for LTE.

It supports the bands in Korea and soon to be the UK.

If the newer exynos in the note 2 now support those LTE bands, then great. The exynos in the note 2 is more powerful than the one in the s3. It also has a bigger screen. Newer and better phones will come out and we have to get used to that

Upvote 0
Welcome to technology. No, there is no conspiracy. Cellphones take a long time to design and produce, and when they make it to market they usually aren't the latest technology available anymore simply because of how fast paced the mobile market is. The next phone is already being designed that will surpass it.

Upvote 0
so there is no business connection with technology. technology is neverrationed out to increase profits? doesa note2 sell much at all in America with a quad core s3 already out? can anyone verify the non compatibility of the previous processor or that the newone could not have been put in the s3?

food for thought. surely people don't think nothing is held back for money reasons.

Upvote 0
so there is no business connection with technology. technology is neverrationed out to increase profits? doesa note2 sell much at all in America with a quad core s3 already out? can anyone verify the non compatibility of the previous processor or that the newone could not have been put in the s3?

food for thought. surely people don't think nothing is held back for money reasons.

I can confirm that 4g is not supported on the quadcore gs3 phones, and that it is supported with the new processor that is in the note 2.

/thread

Upvote 0

Samsung isn't the only manufacturer of devices.

Its shown that the quad core didn't work with lte in the us if you just look and see that no other manufacturer used a quad core in America. International versions got quad core and the us got dual core. HTC did the same thing with the one x. If it was possible, someone would have jumped on it because that would have beaten the s3 in specs and raked in the cash.

Upvote 0
They might not have pushed the issue as hard because it'd make the Note 2 look more badass. It's possible. I'll be sticking with the Note form factor though so I'm not all that concerned.

I'm not concerned anyways. I will still be blind sheep going back to buy the Note 2. I have bought an Evo, Evo 3d, 2 Epic Touches (took it back, then bought it again), GS3, and will buy the Note 2. This is in a little over 2 years. Only phone I've gotten with a contract is the Evo and 3D.

I still have my Evo 3d sitting in a drawer, and using my Epic Touch and S3, Gave Evo to my mom. Can't decide what to keep or sell when the Note 2 arrives.

I have a problem - just want to make sure my lunacy isn't being taken advantage of......

:D

Upvote 0
The S4 processor contains a programmable world modem, it basically supports everything.

The quad could have supported lte by adding the modem for that (also made by Qualcomm) and having to do a new motherboard (which they had to anyway) with more work to ensure RF signal integrity, more parts and higher cost.

It made sense from a cost and reliability viewpoint to just use the S4.

The SGS2 shipped in flavors using all the top end processors of the day.

Getting it down to 2 for the SGS3 was a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones