• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

usa today dishes g1

Not to be too paranoid here, I don't think I will throw away my G1 because of it. I mean for real, I have known for years that Google has been logging all of my search data. And I know for a fact that they use that information against me. For instance I have noticed that when I surf the internet on yahoo lately I have been targeted with ads specifically related to things I have searched on the internet. At first I was like oh cool those are on sale now, I have been thinking about getting one. I would click on the banner to see more details. Now it is kinda like creepy. I have searched Garmin to see when the Garmin Android phone was going to come out because I am hoping that Garmin will relase navigation for all android phones (makes sense). The next day I am surfing and notice that 3 of the 4 ads on the page are Garmin GPS ads. Ok cool. I can live with that. But keep in mind circumstancial evidence in the Stacy Peterson trial was a Google search. Circumstancial evidence intorduced in the Casey Anthony pending trial is a Google search for chloroforum. Also they introduced her cell phone triangulation, although they admitted this was not always accurate, it is an indicator. Law inforcement can and will use this data against you. Texts, phone call logs, internet searches, and now location at any given time. I think if we are going to allow these devices to track us we also need to regulate how this info can be used. Just be aware of what is happening and vote wisely.

Upvote 0
Im not really concerned with any of this. I knew this going into it since I work in the IT industry. The main thing about people worried about being tracked by the GPS in the phone - this has been possible for years now. If you dont want to be tracked by your cell phone turn it off - take out the battery - no more tracking. All companies have been collecting data on their customers since time began. Its has just moved to the digital age now. I like the convenience involved with it. I would rather see ads for things i want than things i dont want. If you notice some of the apps have built in pop up ads. Kinda crazy.

Upvote 0
Im not really concerned with any of this. I knew this going into it since I work in the IT industry. The main thing about people worried about being tracked by the GPS in the phone - this has been possible for years now. If you dont want to be tracked by your cell phone turn it off - take out the battery - no more tracking. All companies have been collecting data on their customers since time began. Its has just moved to the digital age now. I like the convenience involved with it. I would rather see ads for things i want than things i dont want. If you notice some of the apps have built in pop up ads. Kinda crazy.
Exactly.

Thanks for typing it out for me. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones