• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

usage of 4g data to a minimum

I only have a basic phone plan and 4g is not included. I have added it as an option which has to be activated.

When I activate it the first thing that happens is all my facebook messages start downloading. And all my apps start updating............ As I only activate it to search for something online or essential things I would like to set my phone up not to download things when I am in 4g but only when I am on wifi . How can I do that on my samsung galaxy note 4 ?

I would also like to get a ring doorbell and believe that only works if you are connected to the internet. So if I activate my 4g while I am out would only want to use it if doorbell rings so I can see on camera who is at the door.

thanks in advance for your advice.

Joanne

1. Go into the Playstore and touch the options button (3 lines top left) and pick settings. Now pick the auto update setting and set it to only update over wi-fi.
  2. Go into the options settings on the Facebook app and find the data management or similar setting to control how often messages are downloaded. (Sorry don't use the app so don't have details)
  3. You will need to check the manual of the doorbell to see exactly how it works, what sort of data it will use.. I'm guessing that it can broadcast in HD which could be expensive on your data - depending on how much data your allowed (you did not specify this) but you should be able to configure it to a lower setting saving data.
  4. The only sure fire way to stop data usage entirely is to turn it off while not in use. However I'm not sure how this will work if your doorbell app lights up. It may well prompt you to enable data or simply not work. Again you will need to research this.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
That's ok. Why not pop along to the manufacturers website and look for the manual, normally you can download a PDF manual to your device and have a read or alternatively hit them up on their Twitter/Facebook account and ask them some questions.

You didn't mention how much data your allowed each month? Or are you on a chargeable data allowance IE you pay for what you use ?

Upvote 0
Oh ok..helpful company! So here is a rough breakdown of how much data is used depending on the quality of a stream:

• Low quality video is very low-quality. think 240p or 320p. Low-quality settings will use about 0.3GB (300MB) per hour.
  • SD quality video is standard 480p video. SD-quality video uses about 0.7GB (700MB) per hour.
  • HD quality video is between 720p and 2K (remember, the app adjusts the stream). HD-quality video uses about 0.9GB (720p), 1.5GB (1080p) and 3GB (2K) per hour.
Keep in mind these are rough figures and based upon an hour's usage. So streaming at 1080p would be 1,500mb per hour at 6 pence a megabyte. Streaming at 720p would be 900mb per hour at 6 pence a megabyte.

Reactions: Craftaddict
Upvote 0
Oh ok..helpful company! So here is a rough breakdown of how much data is used depending on the quality of a stream:

Keep in mind these are rough figures and based upon an hour's usage. So streaming at 1080p would be 1,500mb per hour at 6 pence a megabyte. Streaming at 720p would be 900mb per hour at 6 pence a megabyte.

Thanks, not really sure why I am worried. Won't be streaming films or anything. Should only be a few minutes at a time. I just like to understand what I am getting in to.

Upvote 0
Indeed, best to give it a test when you get it to see how much data is used for say a 3 minute connection at 1080p and 720p. Something to bare in mind is that the doorbell will also notify of any movement in front of the camera. If your door is pavement facing you will want to turn that feature off if you can.

Upvote 0
Indeed, best to give it a test when you get it to see how much data is used for say a 3 minute connection at 1080p and 720p. Something to bare in mind is that the doorbell will also notify of any movement in front of the camera. If your door is pavement facing you will want to turn that feature off if you can.

Can only check when I get my bill, don't know how else to do it. Luckily I am quite far back from the road and the camera can be angled and distance set.

Upvote 0
You can check on the phone to give you a rough idea of data usage. Now this does vary from phone to phone and which android version your running.

Do a 2 fingered swipe down from the top notification bar and select mobile data, details, mobile data usage. Check this page before you do any tests and note the usage, then check again after each test to give you a good idea of what your using. It will also show you directly the doorbell app and how much data it is using.

You can also set a warning limit within this page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180208-194935_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180208-194935_Settings.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones