• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB 2 Ethernet adapter?

Are there? Where are they all then? Seriously, if there was any kind of demand for what youre asking then it would be available - capitalism, for all its faults, tends to be good at that sort of thing. I think this is the main problem you will have getting this - there just isnt the demand for it so google havent bothered expending time and resources putting it in the phone. That's *why* it's not there.

As for complaining about the dangers of wifi on a mobile phone of all things... well that's just ridiculous. Even if there were health risks (nothing's ever been proven) it's kind of like complaining about air pollution while smoking 40 a day.

As an IT professional, I - for one - would LOVE to have a simple cable (MicroUSB-to-RJ45) for both my tablet and/or my phone that allowed me to plug directly into routers, switches, Access points, servers, firewalls and PCs

This would be INVALUABLE for troubleshooting, configurations and a serious cool factor.

How hard can it be, with dev's creating custom kernels that can make a Droid look like a freaking iMac, to have a USB (or microUSB) port kick out an ethernet-like signal that allows for direct tablet/phone-to-<enter network device here> communications..

Hell, I'd pay for the cable / application / combo in a heart-beat...

Reactions: realgoodme
Upvote 0
To set up access control panels i must first direct connect to the panel to set the IP address for the network i am putting the panel on. If i could do this with my phone instead of hauling out my laptop, firing it up signing in then climb the ladder with the laptop, balance it then change the settings in the panel - HHHMMMM let me think this one over!!!! 5 pound laptop or 5 ounce phone???

Upvote 0
As an IT professional, I - for one - would LOVE to have a simple cable (MicroUSB-to-RJ45) for both my tablet and/or my phone that allowed me to plug directly into routers, switches, Access points, servers, firewalls and PCs

This would be INVALUABLE for troubleshooting, configurations and a serious cool factor.

How hard can it be, with dev's creating custom kernels that can make a Droid look like a freaking iMac, to have a USB (or microUSB) port kick out an ethernet-like signal that allows for direct tablet/phone-to-<enter network device here> communications..

Dont call other people names when you yourself apparently dont have the very competency you accuse others of not having.

If you think its easy, why dont you make one yourself? You are just the same as those people who always ask "how hard can it be?" when they themselves apparently dont even know where to start. The whole point is that Google made Android phones and tablets to be WIRELESS. That's the whole point of the phone/tablet not having ethernet support, because it was designed to be used for you when you are on the go and far away from any wired support. Plus if they had that sort of functionality, it would turn off the carriers from supporting such products because they wont earn from your data plans because you'd use wired connection.

Its not just the technical details of how hard supporting such a feature is for Google, but the marketing details as well. If Androids supported ethernet cables out of the box, I dont think major carriers would touch those things with a 12 foot long spear, as those devices would earn as much for them as an old Nokia 3310 would.

Upvote 0
This is a gentle reminder to everyone that the Site Rules prohibit name-calling and other disrespectful behaviour. If you disagree with another's opinion then do so politely, or the next reminder will not be so gentle.

How hard can it be [...] to have a USB (or microUSB) port kick out an ethernet-like signal that allows for direct tablet/phone-to-<enter network device here> communications..

Without hardware support it's impossible. Ethernet (IEEE 802.3) is fundamentally different to wireless (IEEE 802.11). Without a host controller that supports Ethernet it's a non-starter.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I'm not sure about usb hosting or power requirements, but if you look up "usb ethernet adapter" on amazon or other such sites you'll find several options. They are full fledged ethernet "cards" in a usb stick, and include an ethernet jack. I haven't checked if this would actually work with an Android phone, but I imagine there are posts out there that explore the options.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about usb hosting or power requirements, but if you look up "usb ethernet adapter" on amazon or other such sites you'll find several options. They are full fledged ethernet "cards" in a usb stick, and include an ethernet jack. I haven't checked if this would actually work with an Android phone, but I imagine there are posts out there that explore the options.

In case anybody hasn't noticed that the new ASUS Transformer Prime comes with a keyboard dock that does have a USB port. So if a usb to Ethernet dongle exists that works under GB or ICS this would be a great way to make the tablet way more effective that what it otherwise would be.

Upvote 0
You make some good points, but not all are valid. If Android's aim was to get us all on data plans, then they would have dropped Wifi support as well.

Laptops, which are designed to be used cable-free most of the time, still include RJ45 jacks, so your argument about Android not supporting wired ethernet due to it's wireless nature is also illogical.

Besides, a device that can be used mostly for wireless communications does not preclude it having cabled communications. Eg, Android devices still support USB Mass Storage and MTP over a wired USB connection.

Anyway, I would love for Android to support a USB RJ45 connector on devices with USB host. A quick search on ebay for Android tablets reveals many cheapo China-made Android tablets that do support wired ethernet, so it is apparently possible to port a ethernet driver to Android.

Folks who think this is not necessary obviously have never experienced a situation where a wired connection would be useful. For example, I have been in offices where a wifi connection requires VPN but a wired connection does not. It's definitely easier to just plug into the lan via cable than getting the VPN settings from tech support guys in India over a long distance phone call.

Dont call other people names when you yourself apparently dont have the very competency you accuse others of not having.

If you think its easy, why dont you make one yourself? You are just the same as those people who always ask "how hard can it be?" when they themselves apparently dont even know where to start. The whole point is that Google made Android phones and tablets to be WIRELESS. That's the whole point of the phone/tablet not having ethernet support, because it was designed to be used for you when you are on the go and far away from any wired support. Plus if they had that sort of functionality, it would turn off the carriers from supporting such products because they wont earn from your data plans because you'd use wired connection.

Its not just the technical details of how hard supporting such a feature is for Google, but the marketing details as well. If Androids supported ethernet cables out of the box, I dont think major carriers would touch those things with a 12 foot long spear, as those devices would earn as much for them as an old Nokia 3310 would.

Upvote 0
TL-WA701ND is a TP-Link wireless access point with a bunch of operation modes, along with POE, I've used it in AP mode set specifically for my tablet. Now, it isn't tethered to my tablet, I have successfully used it to diagnose networks and setup new hardware. The rough $40 for it, is also a good deal. In some cases, I place one on-site to monitor easily when I arrive. Also, you can setup the wireless connection manually, to test networks without DHCP. Now, I hope the cell providers will write LTE drivers for their USB adapters under Android, as there are currently no tablets with LTE support, that I've seen.

GuruSR

Upvote 0
Back to the original topic:

HTC Devices, at least ones with Sense 3.0+ (but maybe even older ones, I'm not sure), have the ability to connect to a computer's internet source through USB. It's called internet pass-through. All you need to do is install the HTC drivers on your PC and select Internet Pass-Through when you connect your USB cable.

Upvote 0
Found this thread after googling the same question. wow, it gets off the rails pretty quick.

And yes, back on topic. Philosophies and opinions aside, can this be done, I think yes. We now have the IO SDKs and this is one use case. I can think of several scenarios where having a wired ethernet hanging off a Droid would be useful.

What I want it for is to go the other way, USB tethering but with a wired ethernet dongle. I needed it today trying to setup a temporary internet at a warehouse. It all worked fine with WiFI tethering but I would have liked giving the router a wire instead of adding an AP in client mode to get over to the Droid. I'm running a firewall, vpn, 3 printers, and a few PCs. A USB to ethernet dongle would have been even better.

Upvote 0
Not possible. But I like the idea of sharing via a usb cable. Wifi is good enough. Except att uverse is sucky. They already came to our house many times and never fixed the issue. We replaced the modem 3 times already and it still doesn't work. They said everything is fine so they can't do anything. Then they charged for the visit. And they will if everything is fine again. But every 3 days I need to reset the router and that screws up my recordings. And with the att vail its every day now. It doesn't connect to wifi. But as soon as I reset the router it connects right away when I say connect. So annoying. But ethernet fails. Well not never but rarely. Like maybe once or twice a year compared to the every day for wifi. So I like the sharing idea.

So what you are saying is I can plug in my phone like for charging to my mac or pc laptop. Then steal internet from my ethernet coming into my mac or pc.

Or is that not how it works.

Upvote 0

This is exactly what I'm looking for - a micro-USB to RJ45 adapter. It's now mid-March 2012 - has anyone heard if there is such a device yet? Thanks.

Upvote 0
try goodling/search this site => aliexpress.com they seem to have a variety of usb-to-rj45-adapters and mention for androidwe have the same desire to have the option to connectto a LANRJ4 cable for the same reasons listed bya few others here. not everything is best done wirelessly.how about if the Android device is used as a machineor device controller where a signal isn't strong orpossible or desireable?we'll probably try one of the or more of the optionsshown on the aliexpress site to see what works outof the box.from the looks of this site, they are China.we may cross search for US suppliers of theseitems first before trying payment to that area.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I'm looking for - a micro-USB to RJ45 adapter. It's now mid-March 2012 - has anyone heard if there is such a device yet? Thanks.

I would assume if you got a micro-USB to female USB adapter, then a normal USB ethernet adapter. At least that physical limitation would be lifted. But then you still have to worry about the phone supporting it in the hardware and if the kernel supports it.

Upvote 0
WirelessHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gigabit wireless for everyone: Wilocity demos first 60GHz wireless devices | ExtremeTech

WirelessHD or WiGig should be added into phones.
WiFi is SLOW and unreliable. WirelessHD/WiGig is not. In fact its faster than copper or my HUB(which can work at 100Mhz)

It may be short range but that can be worked around. So instead of looking for another wired tether try advance things by pushing for a new roaming format. You may have to add a few access points to your home to make it seamless but that is so much better than being tied to a wall via a wire.
Maybe the quad core phone by years end? That would be awesome!!!
If this happens I will have to buy a wireless keyboard and learn how to work on my phone :)

Upvote 0
As an addendum imagine a future where your pocket will be able to transmit your information to a monitor of your choosing with no cable or dock station and all your data I/O goes at blinding speed to and from the internet. This is all possible with WiGig. Your laptop of the future will make phone calls and fit in your pocket. Isnt that a laugh.

Upvote 0
Some tablets can be used like notebook replacements (like for example Asus Transformer). So it's just natural to add an RJ45 (UTP) port to tablets. Ethernet connection is much faster than WiFi, so why on Earth not to use it? I really do not enjoy to see how slow the youtube videos download on my tablet, especially when I have an ethernet cable available to connect it.

Another reason to implement Ethernet on Android? There are some motherboards with gigabit ethernet that can test cables (speed, if it's broken it tells you where it is broken (in meters)). They can do a bit of the job of Fluke network testers. Now, imagine you make ethernet networks and you want to test cables and connections. With a phone or tablet with RJ45 (or USB to RJ45) and with the right application for that, you can test all the cables (ping, speed, check where the cable is broken), without buying expensive testers for it (Fluke, JDSU Validator, etc). Many users don't realize yet how useful it will be, but my guess is that ethernet in Android devices will be very popular.

Upvote 0
Congrats! This is a really superb post which made me to register here. You seem to be one of very few people here who really use some critical thoughts instead of blindly following the addicted masses. That's good and you have my vote :)
I just can't get it why someone here even thinks about defending the startegy to ONLY use WIFI when there COULD be cable-bound options out there with no or just a little effort.

To the others:
Ever heard something about the freedom of choice? Why are you supporting a market dictate??
I don't care if you prefer to kill yourself with microwave-based technologies as long as you don't kill the others along with your choice! It's the same as with smoking... if you choose to ignore any danger associated whith it - do it! But don't harm the others while doing so!

People who think WIFI is not dangerous are brainwashed and / or ignorant and never checked the clinical results that exist for this. People who defend the current situation where WIFI is the ONLY solution are supporting the destruction of their own health and the destruction of the heath of others! They are the ones who prevent other solutions to be made available because they refuse to support the freedom of choice. Instead they prefer to ignore ANY critical argument and even are part of the ridicule for such efforts. When I read the "tinfoil" post here you known what I'm talking about! You should really be ashame of yourself.

Freedom means that there is not only one choice. It's sad to see that more and more we are forced into a world which is just unhealthy and oriented towards addiction and forced behaviour. Yes, a majority of people is so addicted to mobile deviced that they refuse to think about any negative aspects of this technology.

Microwave-based devices are very dangerous as they are PROVEN to be destroying your health but lobbies around the world have successfully silenced and ridiculed anyone who dares to speak about it.

I am also looking for a USB based LAN solution for an Acer tablet as I refuse to use the WIFI connection. The device as such can do a lot of things so I'm free to reject the use of any of its microwave-based functions while still having a quite multifunctional device.

So anyone here who even questions someone wanting USB to ethernet support for their mobile device has not understood anything about the freedom of choice and health in general.

Watch this video and get informed:

Cell Phone Dangers | Dr. Devra Davis @ National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) - YouTube

There are lots of reasons to use wired ethernet over wireless. This isn't one of them.

Upvote 0
Interesting thread.

I don't have my tinfoil hat on yet am still interested in micro usb to ethernet (RJ45) connections.

I have crappy cell service at work and no wifi. It would be nice to have an ehternet connection in my office.

Also, I'm thinking of setting up a VERY low powered router/server using an older Android phone at home.

Servers Ultimate Turns Your Old Android Phone Into a Tiny, Multipurpose Server - for example

I googled and see these on Amazon - Amazon.com: Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Tablet 7"/8"/10" inch: Computers & Accessories

Any luck with these things?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones