1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB activates with Car Charger but not Computer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Androidified, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Androidified

Androidified Lurker

I'm very confused by this problem and I've tried nearly everything short of a factory reset to fix it.

The Problem:
    When I connect my phone to my computer via the USB cable all it does is charge. I've tried it on at least 3 different computers and recently installed the driver software on my main computer, and still nothing.

The Confusing Problem:
    When I connect my phone to my car charger the USB options come up - choosing between Media Player or Mass Storage Device. This is the USB setting I have on my phone; I've tried changing it, and still nothing.

I have no earthly idea why this happens.
    Any help?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cabraswell

cabraswell Android Enthusiast

I had the same problem on the PC. I bought a couple of these and it remedied the problem.

As to the car charger problem...are you by chance using something like this? If so...apparently you need to solder a couple connections inside the charger together to get it to act like a normal charger and not a pc connection.

Hopefully this helps!

3. Androidified

Androidified Lurker

I didn't think my cable was the problem at all. The one I have is a replacement for the original because it stopped working a few months after I got the phone. When I went back to the store, an employee told me that they stopped making the particular model of cable I had. So he gave me another cable and told me it would work "just as well as the original."

Little did I know, until last night when I looked at the fine print on it, that it's an LG cell phone cable, not a Samsung. Great. Thanks for that link, I'm buying it right now.

As for the car charger, a friend told me that it probably was a connection problem within it. But as it works just fine, I guess I'll just have to deal with the annoyance of my phone doing that everytime I plug it in to my car.

Thanks for your help.

4. cabraswell

cabraswell Android Enthusiast

The cable I was trying to use was an LG cable as well. The Samsung I replaced it with works perfectly.

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews