1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB and GPS problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hazardsneon, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hazardsneon

Hazardsneon Newbie

I am a newbie with my very first Android device. I picked up the i5500 off of Amazon to use it just as an Android tablet. I don't have a sim card and I never plan on getting a sim card. I am also located in the US using the Europa phone. I've done my research and downloaded all the necessary files to do the froyo update but I can't get my phone to connect via USB. I'm using Win XP and it pops up notices it it is a Samsung Android device but it can't install it. The same thing happens on both my home computers and my work computer. I've tried getting the drivers but I'm unsuccessful. My next problem is that I can't pull GPS. I open up Maps or Navigator and after searching for my current location, it says that my location is temporarily unavailable. I know that this phone is A-GPS but I didn't think that it shouldn't be necessary to have cellular service to get GPS especially since you have the option in settings to turn one or the other off. Somebody please help me with my newbie questions!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. europadroid

europadroid Well-Known Member

3. Hazardsneon

Hazardsneon Newbie

Disreguard the fact that I am going to do the Froyo update for right now. I am having a problem getting my i5500 to connect to my PC via USB. How can I fix it? Also, I don't believe that you needa wireless network to access GPS. I came across that defenition and by defenition A-GPS is Assisted-GPS. Mabye I'm taking it the wrong way, but it is only to enhance the GPS signal with cell tower signal. Also, in the phone you are able to shut off both GPS and Cellular reception independantly. Can someone try with theirs?

4. europadroid

europadroid Well-Known Member

I am sure that without network you cannot use navigation. In a way though I think we are both right, the GPS does work without a network connection but the maps are not stored on the device, they are downloaded based on where the GPS says you are - thats what you need the network for. See link below
    GPS without network service? - Nexus One/Nexus S Forum - Google Phone Forum . Sorry I don't know how to sort the USB issue out, this is my first smartphone too.

5. Hazardsneon

Hazardsneon Newbie

Good News! I sorted out the USB issue. I downloaded Kies and it works great. I guess my next step is to find a GPS program that is not Web based. Thanks for your help!

Samsung Galaxy Europa Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Europa release date was August 2010. Features and Specs include a 2.8" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1200mAh battery.

August 2010
Release Date
Reviews