• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Audio Nexus 5

Kappy79

Nov 1, 2009
I have tried to find an answer to this for a while now, but I have not been able to come up with it. For most of my android phones I have used a car dock with a power/usb cord that connects to a radio transmitter to play sound over my car speakers (yeah my truck is a bit older).

My current set up is from my S3. I have an iBolt S3 dock (which my n5 fits in perfectly) and I connect my s3 to the dock (there is a wire on the side of the dock, which has a port on the side where the usb power/radio adapter plugs into) I recall on my s3 I had to go into settings and pick external audio when connected to dock. I can not find this option in my n5 and when I plug in my n5 to the dock, the sound comes out of the n5 speakers instead of the truck stereo. (the n5 charges just fine)

The question is, is the option hidden somewhere to turn on the external audio, Is this dock only compatible as a dock for the s3, or is the n5 not able to put audio externally. I have stock software on the n5 btw.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't know, try to find out, because "I don't know" won't help me to help you.

Is the "external audio" on the dock Bluetooth or wired? If it's Bluetooth, you'll have to enable Bluetooth (and pair the phone and the dock the first time), and maybe even use an app like BTMono.

If it's wired, you'll need an adapter to go from the phone's earphone jack to the dock's audio input jack/plug/whatever.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to the dock on Amazon Amazon.com: iBOLT In-Vehicle Charging Dock for Galaxy S III: Cell Phones & Accessories

As you can see, in the 4th pic down, dock has a wired connection to the the phone. The dock has an Audio/aux output that gets split in to the charging usb cable and a 3.5 jack. The 3.5 jack is plugged into an iTrip usb charger/radio transmiter.

The transmitter is really similar to this one, except that it has a usb plug insteat of the normal car charger (it is plugged into a usb car charger though) Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Auto Universal Plus FM Transmitter for Portable MP3 Players-2010 Packaging: MP3 Players & Accessories

And yeah, I can take the wires and plug them in separately each time i get in and out of my car, but that means loose wires all over the place and pluging in two things each time I get in and out of my car. The current set up is really simple and easy to use, so I am hoping there is a way to get the n5 to pump audio out the usb hole :)

Edit: I was able to do something very very similar with my Droid 3, so I was thinking this was a standard ability for Android. I guess the slimport might keep this from being an options?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones