• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB Cable ***ALERT***

rnlcomp

Android Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2011
It seems the U in USB is NOT so universal as we would believe, read on.

I whacked up my cable and bought a new one from the Verizon store (wanting to get factory new) and guess what?

No good, the cable would charge the phone just fine but no data connection so I went to the V store and had them look at it, they said it worked ok and the problem must be my pc, I made sure I had the latest drivers from Mot and even uninstalled them and reinstalled just to be sure and still no go.

Hooked the phone to my wifes pc, you guessed it no go. Brought my phone to work and tried 3 different pc's and yep, no go. Well thinking the usb port on the phone must be whacked the store personel did all the basic of data reset to factory ( told them I already tried that) but they had to see it didn't work, so we connected it to a laptop in the store and yep, no go. They got on the phone with tech support where ALL of us including everyone on the Verizon time clock at the store that.....

You MUST USE the cable with the V-Cast sticker for any kind of data transfer.

Go figure!!!!!

They refunded the cable purchase and GAVE me 2 new V-Cast cables for free.

Moral: Cherrish that vcast cable cause it's all ya got.

rnlcomp said:
It seems the U in USB is NOT so universal as we would believe, read on.

I whacked up my cable and bought a new one from the Verizon store (wanting to get factory new) and guess what?

No good, the cable would charge the phone just fine but no data connection so I went to the V store and had them look at it, they said it worked ok and the problem must be my pc, I made sure I had the latest drivers from Mot and even uninstalled them and reinstalled just to be sure and still no go.

Hooked the phone to my wifes pc, you guessed it no go. Brought my phone to work and tried 3 different pc's and yep, no go. Well thinking the usb port on the phone must be whacked the store personel did all the basic of data reset to factory ( told them I already tried that) but they had to see it didn't work, so we connected it to a laptop in the store and yep, no go. They got on the phone with tech support where ALL of us including everyone on the Verizon time clock at the store that.....

You MUST USE the cable with the V-Cast sticker for any kind of data transfer.

Go figure!!!!!

They refunded the cable purchase and GAVE me 2 new V-Cast cables for free.

Moral: Cherrish that vcast cable cause it's all ya got.

While its true that our devices can be finicky when its comes to USB cables they will still work with other high quality cables. I use several different brands of cables all the time and it works fine. The cable you purchased was probably either defective or just low quality. You do NOT have to use a cable with vcast on it for it to work and whoever told you that is wrong. At least they were nice enough to give you some free cables.

Upvote 0
None of the usb cables I have including the ones they sold me worked, but the v-cast cable did.

Their tech support told us that. I was standing there the entire time while they swapped cables.

Yeah I'm gratefull they gave me 2, the other one is going in a ziplock bag and into my gun safe for safe keeping. :D

Upvote 0
The only thing posted in error is your thinking that this could not happen because YOU have not experienced it.

The point is your OP is erroneous, since your statement in very big fonts, is incorrect. All micro usb cables should work and are very cheap or damaged, if not. I also have two micro usb adapters for full size usb and they work too.

Upvote 0
The point is your OP is erroneous, since your statement in very big fonts, is incorrect. All micro usb cables should work and are very cheap or damaged, if not. I also have two micro usb adapters for full size usb and they work too.

Not in error and I am not the only one that has experienced this, maybe my phone is not in the majority but it certainly only works with that cable and no other that were available at the time including the cables that verizon sells in store.

Upvote 0
I just tested the 6 feet cabled I picked up from amazon last year for $3.99 and it works fine. Coudl read all three moto partitions on my linux box without any effort. Even connect it to the dell monitor usb hub; worked like a charm.
-
Hum. Unfortunately I just realized that my hdmi cable is a mini cable (for tablet) so I guess I'll need to pick up a micro; though that laptop dock is interesting. The only catch is i would ony use it at hotels/airports.

Upvote 0
Not in error and I am not the only one that has experienced this, maybe my phone is not in the majority but it certainly only works with that cable and no other that were available at the time including the cables that verizon sells in store.

But it is erroneous since your statement says you MUST, but the five micro USB 2.0 cables and two adapters I have work and others are posting the same results.

For your statement to be correct, the cables we have from various sources would not work. Perhaps "The data connection is picky with the cables I have" is a better context ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones