• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB cable will charge but not connect to PC

tblock1984

Mar 9, 2011
Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster.

The USB port on my Indulge seems a bit loose. When I plug it in, the cable has a few degrees of play on both sides. It doesn't feel as solid as when I first got it almost two weeks ago. Whenever I touch or wiggle the cable, it will make the "Charging" noise again. That doesn't seem to affect charging, but it seems now I can't connect to a PC in Mass Storage Mode any more... Curious.

I remember having this issue on my old Moto Slvr, but I have never had this problem on any of my other Samsungs. I would place my old Finesse under my pillow at night while charging and listen to music/have an alarm right next to my head, and I never had an issue like this. I am afraid that placing my phone under my pillow might have weakened the USB port somehow (I tend to be a heavy sleeper, tossing and turning, etc.). If that is the case, then it seems like they just don't make them like they used to... :(

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yeah, I am using the default cable. This is definitely a hardware issue, though. I have connected to this computer before (and my other two at home), and even got Android App inventor to connect to it and run my app live through debug mode without installing the .apk :) It was a glorious few days.

But now (almost 2 weeks later), I am having major issues. All I need to do is tap the cable ever so gently, and it will chirp again. I hear the Win 7 USB chime do the same thing. Wiggle, disconnect, wiggle, connect, wiggle, disconnect, wiggle, connect, etc.

I should also mention that my wife has the same phone, bought at the same time, does not sleep with it under her pillow, and does not have this issue. Needless to say, i have stopped putting it under my pillow...

I have a total of 5 chargers:
My Indulge data/charger
My wife's Indulge data/charger
My uncle's old Craft data/charger (identical to the one I got with my Indulge)
Samsung bluetooth charger wall wort
Third party car charger

I get this issue with all first party charging cables. My third party car charger doesn't wiggle, and is immune to this behavior. It feels very solid, and does not wiggle. Too bad it isn't a data cable...

I am just a little :mad:/:eek: that I spend almost $1000 on our phones and accessories, and the damn thing has a cracker jack USB connection.

I am still curious if anyone else has had this problem, or if there might be a way to "fix it"

Upvote 0
Well, I figured out what the issue was... The USB port was fried by using my Samsung Bluetooth charger... There is physical, visible damage to the port on the phone (it looks corroded and charred), as well as on the charger. Appearently, the continued use of the charger first affected the data connection capability, then slowly wreaked havoc on the charging capability.

This is the same charger a Metro employee said should be fine...

Waiting for Wednesday to get my new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones