1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Usb camera issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dusty605, Feb 12, 2016.

1. dusty605

dusty605 Lurker

Hi all, I bought a USB borescope for use at work and to plug into my phone. I was under the impression that the note 4 had OTG capabilities however it doesn't detect my camera when I plug it in. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know of a way to fix this. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Well , although the note 4 does have OTG that isn't the whole story.

There are thousands of different devices out there, from flash drives, to Network adapters, sewing machines, oscilloscopes , blenders , game controllers, Pianos, coffee stirrers all using the same usb connector.

Now, obviously, the device that you're plugging them into needs something to tell it what to do with this.... and thats where drivers come in. Some of these are baked into the operating system (android, OSX, Windows etc) and so plugging a Flash drive or keyboard should work automatically.

If there isn't a driver available, windows will normally ask you to install one before you plug in the device.... I suspect you may need something like that for your boroscope... hopefully the manufacturer might be able to help (if they've written one that is)

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

4. dusty605

dusty605 Lurker

I have ordered a cable in the hope that that works. My mate has a HTC that picked it up straight away with the recommended app. I've tried various apps but none that see that a USB device is plugged in. I've also used an otg checker that shows the otg is working but also doesn't detect the camera. Fingers crossed the cable will help.

5. dusty605

dusty605 Lurker

Well the cable has made no difference at all. The camera works fine on my old s3 without even using the new cable. There's obviously something blocking usb use on my phone.

6. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Android Enthusiast

Ok, then you are down to a hardware problem in the phone or software. Aside from taking a trip to the nearest Samsung store to see if they can help, have you tried to turn on (or off) USB debugging to see if that gets the connection established?

Wild stab in the dark, but perhaps...

Regards,
    Eric.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews