1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

USB charging/file transfer options JB 4.1.1 [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by daveinmanc, Aug 3, 2013.

1. daveinmanc

daveinmanc Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    Male
    Manchester, U.K
    Hi Folks.

Seems that these options have now 'gone' from what I can gather?
    I can't charge plugging the phone into a laptop/pc and the only way I could get to file transfer was turning developer options on.

Is this right? Lots of conflicting info out there and seemingly not a single fix for both problems, I have a wall charger, but it's handy charging whilst on the laptop or off the car stereos USB port but it's not working now?

Have google in their infinite 'wisdom' really taken this most basic option out of the OS? I find it hard to believe . . . . . It makes no sense at all : /

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    i moved you to the android lounge.

what phone do you have? it might be a phone specific issue as i do not have any problem with my phone connecting to the pc or charging thru usb on my pc.

i have a evo 4g lte and it has jb 4.2(rooted) and no issues.

3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Choose compassion over cruelty
    VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin/programmer
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    No, that wouldn't make sense--but I've personally never had this problem. I always charge via USB connected to my computers, and that's how I transfer files, too. So I'm guessing that there's a fluke/quirk somewhere for you.

Did these things ever work on this particular phone? If so, has something changed, perhaps in your settings, that might have affected these functions?

4. daveinmanc

daveinmanc Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    Male
    Manchester, U.K
    Hi and thanks for the replies,

Yes the phone charged and transferred from day 1, I have a laptop running linux mint that mounted the sd card straight away and the USB options menu used to pop up on the screen asking if I wanted to turn on USB storage and this hasn't come up in weeks, so searching around I kept coming across posts rightly or wrongly telling me they'd pulled that feature as an option in an update.

I could also connect/charge off my cars stereo usb too and that's stopped now also, how could I test the USB port to know if that's maybe faulty, or do you think the fact it's not responding is enough in itself?

5. daveinmanc

daveinmanc Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    Male
    Manchester, U.K
    Oddly . . . I'm at work and curiosity got the better of me, grabbed my usb out of the car and have plugged it into the usb on the windows pc i use at work. First nothing, then i turned debugging mode on and restated the phone, windows popped up a notification 'device not recognised' . . . .

I unplugged it and once it had fully booted up i plugged it back in, now it's started charging by usb . . . . so that tells me the micro usb on the phone should surely be ok? It still doesn't give me the option i used to get though? And it's not showing up in 'my computer' either . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Is the screen shot the dialogue it used to give, or are you getting that now?

Nothing should have changed at all wrt usb charging - that is very strange.

USB mass storage mode is not supported in stock Android - I thought not since 4.0, but as I skipped over that release I am not certain. Some phones may have had it put back by the manufacturer, but the default these days is to use "MTP" (Media Transfer Protocol). This is actually a Windows thing, so you may indeed find file transfer easier with Windows than Mint. Unfortunately I don't know what the work-around with linux is, apart from using WiFi, e.g. Airdroid (Google have provided a file transfer tool for OSX, but oddly, given what Android is based on, not for Linux).

7. daveinmanc

daveinmanc Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    Male
    Manchester, U.K
    That image is what used to come up, I've just tried cleaning the usb micro female port on the phone with a soft brush and even the lead itself .. no better, when I got the phone it worked fine on everything, my linux and windows boxes, now it won't charge from a wall charger with a USB, it was just good thinking on my part that I bought a universal wall charger that the battery sits in, and I have 3, otherwise I'd be kn***erd.

I do find it ridiculous that google changed this, the net seems awash with the subject..........

8. daveinmanc

daveinmanc Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    Male
    Manchester, U.K
    Fixed now . . . . . . this was all adown to a faulty micro USB port on the phone which has now been replaced, and is working as it was out of the box. I'm also rooted now so I have more questions in another thread . . . . . ;)