• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB charging/file transfer options JB 4.1.1 [SOLVED]

Hi Folks.

Seems that these options have now 'gone' from what I can gather?
I can't charge plugging the phone into a laptop/pc and the only way I could get to file transfer was turning developer options on.

Is this right? Lots of conflicting info out there and seemingly not a single fix for both problems, I have a wall charger, but it's handy charging whilst on the laptop or off the car stereos USB port but it's not working now?

Have google in their infinite 'wisdom' really taken this most basic option out of the OS? I find it hard to believe . . . . . It makes no sense at all : /

Hi Folks.

Seems that these options have now 'gone' from what I can gather?
I can't charge plugging the phone into a laptop/pc and the only way I could get to file transfer was turning developer options on.

Is this right? Lots of conflicting info out there and seemingly not a single fix for both problems, I have a wall charger, but it's handy charging whilst on the laptop or off the car stereos USB port but it's not working now?

Have google in their infinite 'wisdom' really taken this most basic option out of the OS? I find it hard to believe . . . . . It makes no sense at all : /
No, that wouldn't make sense--but I've personally never had this problem. I always charge via USB connected to my computers, and that's how I transfer files, too. So I'm guessing that there's a fluke/quirk somewhere for you.

Did these things ever work on this particular phone? If so, has something changed, perhaps in your settings, that might have affected these functions?

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for the replies,

Yes the phone charged and transferred from day 1, I have a laptop running linux mint that mounted the sd card straight away and the USB options menu used to pop up on the screen asking if I wanted to turn on USB storage and this hasn't come up in weeks, so searching around I kept coming across posts rightly or wrongly telling me they'd pulled that feature as an option in an update.

I could also connect/charge off my cars stereo usb too and that's stopped now also, how could I test the USB port to know if that's maybe faulty, or do you think the fact it's not responding is enough in itself?

Upvote 0
Oddly . . . I'm at work and curiosity got the better of me, grabbed my usb out of the car and have plugged it into the usb on the windows pc i use at work. First nothing, then i turned debugging mode on and restated the phone, windows popped up a notification 'device not recognised' . . . .

I unplugged it and once it had fully booted up i plugged it back in, now it's started charging by usb . . . . so that tells me the micro usb on the phone should surely be ok? It still doesn't give me the option i used to get though? And it's not showing up in 'my computer' either . .

android-froyo-mount.jpg

android-froyo-mount.jpg

Upvote 0
Is the screen shot the dialogue it used to give, or are you getting that now?

Nothing should have changed at all wrt usb charging - that is very strange.

USB mass storage mode is not supported in stock Android - I thought not since 4.0, but as I skipped over that release I am not certain. Some phones may have had it put back by the manufacturer, but the default these days is to use "MTP" (Media Transfer Protocol). This is actually a Windows thing, so you may indeed find file transfer easier with Windows than Mint. Unfortunately I don't know what the work-around with linux is, apart from using WiFi, e.g. Airdroid (Google have provided a file transfer tool for OSX, but oddly, given what Android is based on, not for Linux).

Upvote 0
That image is what used to come up, I've just tried cleaning the usb micro female port on the phone with a soft brush and even the lead itself .. no better, when I got the phone it worked fine on everything, my linux and windows boxes, now it won't charge from a wall charger with a USB, it was just good thinking on my part that I bought a universal wall charger that the battery sits in, and I have 3, otherwise I'd be kn***erd.

I do find it ridiculous that google changed this, the net seems awash with the subject..........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones