1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support USB charging

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RigelX, Apr 7, 2011.

1. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    This might belong in a more generic subforum.

Is there a difference in the power available between USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 or later?

The computers we have at work are pretty old (though they suffice for what we need them for) and the USB ports are ver 1.0.

I haven't tried charging my Inspire off it, but could like to know if it's adequate.
    Is it just a matter of how long it might take to charge or is there no difference?

Advertisement

2. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    That's a great question that I simply don't know the answer to :)

I've only used 2.0 until a few days ago when my new ThinkPad W520 arrived. It has the new USB 3.0 ports but I haven't had a chance to time a charge yet.

Cheers

3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Shouldnt make a difference for charging, just for speed of data transfer.

But you should use a port close to the motherboard, on a desktop a port on the back of the tower is preferable to the easy to access ones on the front. I did notice my phone charges faster (slightly) when plugged into the back port than with the front ones as these ones dont have the higher power output like the back ports do.

4. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Maximum PC | Everything You Need to Know About USB 3.0, Plus First Spliced Cable Photos

USB 3.0 will charge more devices, quicker
    Not only will USB 3.0 cables facilitate faster transfer speeds, but they’ll carry more power, too. The USB-IF recognizes the growing number of portable devices that charge via USB (cellphones, MP3 players, digital cameras), and have bumped the power output from about 100miliamps to 900 milliamps. That means not only will you be able to power more than 4 devices from a single hub, but the increase current will let you charge up heftier hardware as well.

A google search takes just a few seconds more than guessing... cough.