• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB connection (drag and drop)

andrewdoane

Nov 6, 2009
I have my Droid connected to my computer via the USB that came in the box. The phone recognizes the cable, chimes, and has the USB icon on the screen. But the computer doesn't recognize the phone at all. It could be a problem with my computer, but I'm checking here in case I just can't find the option on the phone to "allow USB connection" or something.

Edit to add: I've never had a problem with connecting phones via USB in the past. Just yesterday it was working for my old phone.

I have my Droid connected to my computer via the USB that came in the box. The phone recognizes the cable, chimes, and has the USB icon on the screen. But the computer doesn't recognize the phone at all. It could be a problem with my computer, but I'm checking here in case I just can't find the option on the phone to "allow USB connection" or something.

Edit to add: I've never had a problem with connecting phones via USB in the past. Just yesterday it was working for my old phone.

You didn't mention whether or not you did the step (on the phone) to mount the usb to your computer. Did you do that and it still doesn't work?

I attach the usb cable to my phone and to the computer
I get a notification on the phone that the usb is attached
I drag down the top tab and select usb connection
I hit the button to mount the usb
I go to My Computer (on the computer) and open the F: drive
Now I can drag and drop from my computer to my phone

I added a few folders to the sd card like Pictures, Ringtones, Music. I put the corresponding files in those folders.

Upvote 0
I've tried to mount the Droid with no success, both on 64-bit Vista and, today, on 64-bit Windows 7.

Solved! I put the phone into "USB Debug" mode and the USB connection went off as advertised. This isn't how things should operate, but I'll take what I can get at the moment. Here's how, if anyone else is having the same problem:

1 - Go into Settings
2 - Select Applications
3 - Select Development
4 - Select USB debugging (and, while you're at it, select "Stay Awake" to keep the Droid awake while connected via USB to the computer or charger.

I elected to allow mock locations as well. Just in case.

- Jim

Upvote 0
I've tried to mount the Droid with no success, both on 64-bit Vista and, today, on 64-bit Windows 7. The computer sees the Droid, but tells me that there's no card in it and (today) that the directory name is invalid. Any suggestions? It mounts just fine on my XP desktop.

Interesting. I connected mine to Vista 64-bit last night with no problems at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones