1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support USB Connection Methods

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SoonerLater, Jul 18, 2010.

1. SoonerLater

SoonerLater Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Tulsamerica
    When I connect my Droid-X via USB to my computer, I am offered these options:

1. PC Mode
    2. Windows Media Sync
    3. USB Mass Storage
    4. Charge Only

The last one I can figure out, but what are the differences and similarities between the first three? Are there tasks that only work with one mode or another?

Advertisement

2. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    1. Haven't really messed with it, I think it is somewhat similar to #2
    2. Allows you to transfer files (pictures/music/videos) to the phone using Windows Media Player and have them converted automatically to a format compatible with the player.
    3. Just presents the phone to the computer as a removeable drive that you can drag and drop files onto etc.
    4. Self explanatory like you mentioned.

3. SoonerLater

SoonerLater Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Tulsamerica
    1. Only mode that TuneSync will use to sync music from iTunes library to my Droid X. Droid is not listed as a drive (drive letter) in Windows Explorer.

2. No clue, but I bet you're right. I never use Win Media Player. It's the plague.

3. Droid appears as a removable drive in Windows.

I still wish that Google/Motorola/ Verizon would *document* this. Surprisingly, there's nothing on this (at least that I found after 15 minutes of hunting).

4. CarsMatic

CarsMatic Active Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Has anyone tried to connect to a Mac via USB? I just tried to plug mine in and it said that it couldn't be read? Why is that? Am I doing something wrong?

5. c_aus

c_aus Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I noticed that using it on PC mode opens up an explorer window that has some Motorola driver installation files. Any idea what they are for?

6. dwheeler

dwheeler New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    On Windows XP It launches a Fax Driver

7. Riverman

Riverman Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    I connect mine to my iMac every now and then. I use the USB mass storage mode.