• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Connectivity Issues

I have the Harman Kardon Gold edition of the HTC One M8, and I am having some issues.

Whenever I try to connect my phone to my Macbook, I see the display showing that my phone is charging, but I have never seen the notification that asks me to choose between Charge Only or MTP or anything else.

I never had this problem before Marshmallow, but I haven't had this problem until very recently. I've had Marshmallow for a few months now. It started when I did a hard reset of my phone due to notification issues with Android Auto.

After the reset, I got all of my data back that I needed, but whenever I try to connect to my computer, it doesn't show up. Even when I connect it and open HTC Sync Manager on my laptop, it says, "No Phone Connected". I don't have any app notifications blocked, and I've tried to go into settings to fix it. Both in Sound And Notifications and USB And Storage. I eventually realized I had to enable developer options and change it from there. But even THEN it didn't work! I disconnected and reconnected over and over again, but still no notification and HTC Sync Manager still said "No Phone Connected". I checked my settings, and Developer Options said that MTP was enabled, so i deleted and re-downloaded Sync Manager. Still. Didn't. Work.

I ended up downloading an MTP enabler app, and even IT said my phone wasn't connected, even though it was plugged in.

The only reason I know that the problem isn't with the USB cord is because I just bought it a couple weeks ago, brand new from the Sprint store AND it still charges my phone. I've also encountered the exact same problems with 2 other chargers

I have also been getting a notification that says,
"Download Error
No action required. ID will automatically retry.
An unexpected download error has occurred. (Code: 10)."

Is my phone unable to download the USB drivers or something? Somebody please help this has been bugging me for a while. I just want to get my music.

Last edited:
A couple of things here. Just because a cable will charge your phone, doesn't necessarily mean it will be fine for data as well. I'd still see if you could try a few different cables. Also, the 'Charge Only' setting is default in Marshmallow for USB connections. And it's persistent. You can't change that. Every time you plug it in you have to drop down the notification bar and select MTP mode. I've stopped trying to understand Google. :thinking:

Is your Macbook fairly new with USB 3.0 ports? USB 2.0 seems to be much more reliable with mobile devices at the moment.

Does your screen look something like this?

Screenshot_20160621-221655.png

Upvote 0
I know that you have to change the settings every time you plug it back in, I used to be able to do it just fine, even with Marshmallow 6.0. The problem is that it still doesn't register as "connected" The flash notification doesn't even appear at all, so I don't have the option to choose between MTP or Charge Only in the first place.

Because I can't upload videos to this forum, I uploaded them to YouTube instead. They show the failed processes from both my phone and my computer.

Upvote 0
You could turn on USB debugging in developer options and see if you can get ADB to recognize the device. Then we'd know that the cable and port are okay.

I suppose the next step would be to try and find a PC to try. If the phone is recognized by the PC and the phone recognizes it's plugged in, then we can look at connecting to a Mac (which has been problematic with some devices). If s different computer doesn't recognize it, then i'd have to say it's either the cable or the USB port on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones