• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB connectivity on Mac and Linux?

lotus49

Android Expert
May 9, 2011
Yorkshire
I am having problems connecting my SGS2 to my Mac and Linux machines, which is particularly annoying bearing in mind the total lack of support for these two platforms (yes I know there is Kies Mini but it doesn't recognise my phone - thanks Samsung).

When I plug my phone into a Windows 7 machine, the computer recognises it and I can manipulate files on the phone and SD card.

When I plug it into my Mac, nothing happens. Aperture recognises that a camera is plugged in but cannot access the photos and there seems to be no other way of accessing anything.

When I plug it into my Linux machine, it is recognised and I can see the contents of the root of /sdcard and the SD card but I cannot access the contents of any file or folder (all the folders show as empty).

This isn't much use to me because I never use Windows :(. My main machine is the Mac and that's the one I'd really like it to work on but Linux would be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Has anyone else had any joy with this on a Mac or Linux computer? If so, what did you do?

PS I have seen in several places on the net that the notification bar should have a "mount usb" option when plugged in but I don't get that. I just get the MTP Application filling my home screen.

PPS Kies Air does work but it's pretty sucky and I'd rather have direct access to the device and the micro SD card.

I am having problems connecting my SGS2 to my Mac and Linux machines, which is particularly annoying bearing in mind the total lack of support for these two platforms (yes I know there is Kies Mini but it doesn't recognise my phone - thanks Samsung).

When I plug my phone into a Windows 7 machine, the computer recognises it and I can manipulate files on the phone and SD card.

When I plug it into my Mac, nothing happens. Aperture recognises that a camera is plugged in but cannot access the photos and there seems to be no other way of accessing anything.

When I plug it into my Linux machine, it is recognised and I can see the contents of the root of /sdcard and the SD card but I cannot access the contents of any file or folder (all the folders show as empty).

This isn't much use to me because I never use Windows :(. My main machine is the Mac and that's the one I'd really like it to work on but Linux would be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Has anyone else had any joy with this on a Mac or Linux computer? If so, what did you do?

PS I have seen in several places on the net that the notification bar should have a "mount usb" option when plugged in but I don't get that. I just get the MTP Application filling my home screen.

PPS Kies Air does work but it's pretty sucky and I'd rather have direct access to the device and the micro SD card.

Connect the galaxy s 2 to your mac, when the mtp screen shows up on your screen press the home button to clear it. Then go to applications, settings, wireless and network, usb utilities, uplug the usb from your phone, touch the "connect storage to pc" on phone , it will tell you to plug in back the usb, then your done.

Reactions: mtberic and lotus49
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones