• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Device in Win7 64bit

So here I am with a new Nexus 7 (2013) 32gb. I came from a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and I have to say I'm happy with it so far. Everything works fine on the tablet itself, yet I'm having one problem. Well, a few.

When first connecting, it wouldn't show up as a device in my computer. Not a drive, media player or anything. I've gone through lots of steps, tried on both my Laptop (Win7 Home 64bit) and my desktop (win7 pro 64bit) both of which are up to date.

I've installed the ADB Composite drivers and several others. Each time I try a new one, I uninstall the old ones and select to remove them while doing so. I've removed all Samsung software and drivers as well.

On my laptop it shows up under "Portable Devices" as a "Nexus 7", on my desktop it showed up under "Samsung Devices" as Google ADB or something, I'll have to plug it in there and check.

I've got it to work on the laptop as a "Nexus 7" right now, but when I do a file transfer, it starts to go but then it freezes after a while.

The tablet is set up as MTP and USB Debugging is off. If I turn it on, it shows as a different device and sometimes work, sometimes doesn't. When I set it up as PTP, it won't let me create folders or copy to it. It also doesn't show me all the folders on the tablet itself.

Is there some method that has been figured out to wipe everything as far as drivers go and install it once and for good as a stable device without having to root or do a factory reset?

Right now I'm trying out Airdroid just to see if I can get some stuff copied over. This was the point of me getting the 32g version, so I could copy some things over.

The funny thing is yesterday when I copied over 8gigs of videos and other stuff, it worked fine. Today I'm trying about 1.2g of pictures all in folders and it freezes about ten minutes into it if that.

Help?

Edit1: I'm noticing that when copying files over, Windows Explorer freezes. When it does and I restart it, I open up My Computer and I see the "nexus 7" there still, both on the PC and Laptop. But when I try to access it, I can't. Like the Nexus stopped allowing access. I have to unplug and plug it back in or reset it while plugged in to "get it back".

I'm guessing this is a driver issue?

You're using a USB hub, aren't you? Plug the device into one of the computer's (or laptop's) USB ports directly.

Actually, no I'm not using a hub. I'm plugging directly into the USB port on the laptop and the port on the front of the PC which goes directly to the MB. I wish it was that easy. :(

It sucks because when I first plug it in, I can browse the files and transfer stuff, but there's either a set number of time or files that once it gets there, the Nexus stops to work and Windows won't do a thing till I unplug it and plug it back in.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

So I was copying some stuff over to the tablet on the laptop. I copied 8 gigs of videos over and it went fine. So I copied over some pictures and I noticed that as soon as the freeze happened, the Tablet showed the error message "android.process.media has stopped" and I had to unplug and plug it back in to get it to recognize. I googled it and found that if you wipe the cache/data that it helps. Well I've only had this tablet for 4 days now so how mucked up can it be, right? I cleared the cache and data, unplugged it, rebooted it and my folders weren't showing up in Windows for a while, I guess it had to build the library back up. So I let it sit for a bit and all was well for now. I'm done copying what I needed, but it seems to happen pretty much just with pictures. Both in MTP and PTP transfer modes, USB Debugging is off.

I can only imagine how much fun this will be when I get the OTG cable in the mail soon. Yay.

So the problem doesn't seem to be Windows/Driver based anymore?

Upvote 0
I've occasionally seen a crash when copying files over USB. I think it started after the Kitkat upgrade, though I would swear to that.

I normally copy stuff over the network using ES File Explorer. I find this faster than USB.

Oh wonderful, it did the KitKat upgrade as soon as I turned it on. Well it's not a HUGE issue, as I've got what I needed copied over and for now it will only be in small batches. It just happens with pictures though, otherwise I can use MTP or PTP mode without debugging on. I even got my OTG cable in and tried my mouse and it worked with no issues, next will be buying a keyboard.

Upvote 0
So here I am with a new Nexus 7 (2013) 32gb. I came from a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and I have to say I'm happy with it so far. Everything works fine on the tablet itself, yet I'm having one problem. Well, a few.

When first connecting, it wouldn't show up as a device in my computer. Not a drive, media player or anything. I've gone through lots of steps, tried on both my Laptop (Win7 Home 64bit) and my desktop (win7 pro 64bit) both of which are up to date.

I've installed the ADB Composite drivers and several others. Each time I try a new one, I uninstall the old ones and select to remove them while doing so. I've removed all Samsung software and drivers as well.

On my laptop it shows up under "Portable Devices" as a "Nexus 7", on my desktop it showed up under "Samsung Devices" as Google ADB or something, I'll have to plug it in there and check.

I've got it to work on the laptop as a "Nexus 7" right now, but when I do a file transfer, it starts to go but then it freezes after a while.

The tablet is set up as MTP and USB Debugging is off. If I turn it on, it shows as a different device and sometimes work, sometimes doesn't. When I set it up as PTP, it won't let me create folders or copy to it. It also doesn't show me all the folders on the tablet itself.

Is there some method that has been figured out to wipe everything as far as drivers go and install it once and for good as a stable device without having to root or do a factory reset?

Right now I'm trying out Airdroid just to see if I can get some stuff copied over. This was the point of me getting the 32g version, so I could copy some things over.

The funny thing is yesterday when I copied over 8gigs of videos and other stuff, it worked fine. Today I'm trying about 1.2g of pictures all in folders and it freezes about ten minutes into it if that.

Help?

Edit1: I'm noticing that when copying files over, Windows Explorer freezes. When it does and I restart it, I open up My Computer and I see the "nexus 7" there still, both on the PC and Laptop. But when I try to access it, I can't. Like the Nexus stopped allowing access. I have to unplug and plug it back in or reset it while plugged in to "get it back".

I'm guessing this is a driver issue?

Well I've struck a similar problem since changing from Nexus 7(2013) 16Gb to 32Gb model.
No problems with the 16Gb, but now on 32, my windows 7 (64) OS does not find a driver for the N7 32, I've searched for drivers in windows explorer but no luck, so I downloaded the driver from Google, still no show, the N7 shows up OK but no driver to transfer files, pics, music etc.
I've gone to airdroid to do the job, but this is s nuisance at times, transfer via usb is so simple (when it works).
Any suggestions please, why this happens with the 32, but not the 16?

Upvote 0
Try USB deview (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/download/USBDeview,0301-13254.html---just a suggested download as I couldn't locate it on cnet) to make certain all related USB connections have been removed. You've probably tried other cables and USB ports. I've never really had the problem with any of my Nexus devices (Gnex, N4, N7 2012, 2013, N5) on windows 7 64bit home edition, but I read about it often.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones