1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB device not recognized!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sambo59, Nov 27, 2011.

1. CanoeGuy

CanoeGuy Lurker

I have been having the same problem for about 2 weeks.

Here's what I did after I seen someone comment to clean the connections:

While the large end of the USB cable was unplugged from the computer, I proceeded to plug in and unplug the USB cable to the phone repeatedly for about 30 seconds being careful not to bend or force any connections.

I then plugged the large end into the computer and it finally established a connection.

Give that a try and see if it works. I could not thing of any other effective way to clean the connections without buying some over priced product.

Cheers

CanoeGuy

2. kcrunch

kcrunch Lurker

when you plug the phone in use the drag down from the top of the screen and you should see

ongoing
    under should be turn on usb

once this is done the phone should be readily accessible as a drive and readable.

3. s00thsayer

s00thsayer Lurker

I was having the problem on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant where the phone would charge but if I connected to a pc it would say the usb device malfunctioned. I did all sorts of things including trying on multiple computers, different usb cables, factory reset, and even dismantled my phone and re-heated the solder joints on the micro usb connector and none of that fixed it.

Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable. I cannot even tell that the piece moved but evidently it bent just enough to improve the contact points. Hope this ends up helping other people with this problem.

I was considering sending my phone out for the $35 repair from mobiletechvideos but now I don't have to.

RaeanneMoriarty, steve and danwfeeney like this.
  4. sahnisarbjit

sahnisarbjit Lurker

This one worked for me...
    Big Thanks...

5. danwfeeney

danwfeeney Lurker

I was amazed to find that the above also worked for me i.e. slightly increasing the gap between the middle prong of the phone's USB port and the inner casing (bend towards the screen) with one arm of a pair of Swiss army knife tweezers. Awesome : ) Didn't cost me a dollar.

6. saxguyty

saxguyty Lurker

I was experiencing the "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned" error and the method described above worked for me too!

7. ezemillion

ezemillion Lurker

What a magic!!! It worked for me...God bless you for sharing

8. aquawicket

aquawicket Lurker

OK.. I'm just gonna say.. This is ridiculous and the whole MICRO-USB standard needs to be recalled. My success rate with data connection VIA usb is near 10%.. Are you kidding me! I have tested 16 different cables.. 12 different PC's... 8 different Android devices. And my success rate is 1 out of 10!!!!! RECALL!!!

9. srjpal

srjpal Lurker

Try this...it worked for me...Except I started getting this all of the sudden and Every single time I would connect to my PC.

I read this solution on the internet but did not think it would work...but I took 2 minutes and tried it and it worked! give it a try..you only have to lose 2 minutes...

1. hold your phone and look at the micro USB connector on the bottom edge of your Skyrocket

2. you will see a "tongue" inside the USB port.

3. put something "non metalic" (I used a flat wooden toothpick). Gently, lift up the "tongue"..
    I used a twirling motion on my toothpick to raise the tongue up a little bit. Don't Go PRYING it up...just be gentle because you don't want to break your toothpick inside the phone or break the Tongue.

I did this and now I do not get the "USB device is not recognized". Give it a try and post here if it worked for you. Spread the word if it does.

Good Luck!

10. kurtk

kurtk Lurker

This worked for me:

1) goto 'Settings > About Phone > Software Info'
    2) Tap 'Build Number' 7 times.
    -- This makes you a 'Developer' and turns on 'Developer Options'

3) goto 'Settings > Developer Options'
    4) Check 'USB debugging'
    5) 'Select USB Configuration' was set to 'Charging only'
    6) I changed the setting to 'MTP (Media Transfer Protocol
    -kurtk

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews