• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help usb drive

Well this didn't work on two computers (and three OS's), so I figured it had to be the phone. I turned it off, unplugged it from the USB to make sure it had no power still, pulled the battery and re-inserted the SD Card, turned it back on and voila... it works. Not sure if reseating the SD card did anything... but whatever :)

Upvote 0
M900_How Do I Access Content On The Memory Card With The SPH-M900 (Moment)?

At this moment in time, I'm not getting any notification regarding the USB connection, when I connect to my laptop.

I will try

Settings -> Application -> SD.... -> Unmount

Power down the phone and unplug from laptop

Take out the battery and then the SD Card

Re install

Power up

Re connect USB Cable

Upvote 0
I got it.

Basically, I've had a multitude of mobile phone drivers installed on my Laptop. From Palm's to Blackberrys. What was happening was that there was a conflict of drivers with the Moment.

I used a program called USBDView to see what these drivers where, and then one-by-one deleted them.

I can now see the Moment's SD card as an external drive, and yes I did get the USB Connected notification on top of the Moment's screen. Wooohooo!

Here is that app for viewing and editing USB drivers on your PC/Laptop....

USBDeview - View all installed/connected USB devices on your system

And yes Adrift, you are right PC Studio is an app for the older Samsung phones. It will be uninstalled shortly. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Note: If you succeed in mounting the Moment to your PC, make sure that you "Unmount" it via the notification drop down menu (you drag it down with your finger) when your done.

I found that the PC's driver will get corrupt if you don't (by pulling the cable right off - may corrupt your SD card too, especially if you have a file open), and will not recognize the Moment from then on. To recover....

1. Disconnect USB Cable from Moment
2. "Unmount" the SD card via Settings menu, but do not physically
remove.
3. Power down the Moment by holding down the right hard button (red)
4. Uninstall the driver on your PC. Use USBDview.exe -works exceptionally
well
5. Power up our Moment
6. Reconnect the USB cable
7. Your PC should then re-install the driver
8. USB notification should appear at the top left of your Moment screen
9. Drag down the Notification window with your finger
10. Mount the USB card
11. On your PC, a pop up window should appear with a list of actions.
Choose "Open Folders" (I think that's what it was called).

Reactions: clintatk
Upvote 0
On another thread, a user suggested downloading a newer version of PC Studio.

It worked, and adds a slew of new drivers. Plus you can use debug mode under settings -> application to see the SD as a harddrive and also run some other unmentionable software.

Here is the link:

Samsung's Digital World

Thank you. This worked.

Upvote 0
Wow...that was a lot of fun. Finally working.

1. I downloaded the New PC studio software. Long time to run, and install a bunch of drivers (modem, etc) seen in windows device manager.

2. On Moment: settings, applications, development...must check "usb debuging" to enable the PC to see the device. I think I did a full power down also by holding down the end key for 3 seconds.

3. Connect to PC.... and then pull down the notification screen and click on USB connected. All the drivers are set up automatically

4. Now the sd card just shows up as removable device.

Sow what was all that for? Easier to turn off the phone and remove the card and stick it in you pc's card reader!!! There's no functionality in the Studio software (except for update) for the moment. All the syncing of media, contacts, notes, calendars....all say the moment isn't a supported device????? Not such a smart device. Kind of missing Microsoft Activesync now.

So how are we supposed to sync files. I've got a bunch of spreadsheets and word docs and reference stuff that I'd like to have on both phone and moment....syncronized. Any way to setup something that will automatically sync a folder from the pc to the card...when it does show up?

Sticky needed for this stuff pretty soon.

Upvote 0
So we have the drivers we NEED. I pulled them out of that huge file and zipped them up into a much smaller file easier to download. These worked for PDAnet and tethering as well Samsung Moment USB Drivers
Thank you LincKraker! My phone is FINALLY recognized. I was able to place files on the memory card. But I still cannot sync contacts. Do have any solutions?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what the directory structure should be on the SD card?

I took a test picture, and found that camera had created a DCIM directory with attendant sub-directories, but I don't know what videos or music should be called.

I guess I'll try making a short video and see where it puts that.

OK, it put it in the DCIM>Camera folder, but WMP couldn't play the .3gp file. Quick time could though. Wouldn't you know it! Jobs strikes again! grrr

Upvote 0
Ok... I've done everything I can imagine to get my Moment to show up as a drive in Windows XP Sp3....

1) Instaleld "New PC Studio"
2) Removed all USB drivers using USBDeview (I had a WinMo phone before)
3) Rebooted, reset, removed/replaced card/battery
4) Re-detected device, etc... drivers were re-installed

and still no drive letter in windows. It loaded the 'usb mass storage driver' for the device when it was detected, but still no drive letter..

My Device manager shows devices:

ADB Interface:
Samsung Android Composite ADB interface
Disk Drives:
Android UMS Composite USB device
Modems:
SAMSUNG Android USB Modem
PdaNet Modem
Storge volume:
Generic volume (Android)
Universal Serial Bus Contollers:
SAMSUNG Android USB Composite Device
USB Composite Device (Android)
USB Mass Storage Device (Android)

It looks like all the drivers are loaded, but when I enable the "USB Storage" from the notifications I still don't get a drive letter. I've tried USB Debug mode on and off, no difference.

Strange thing is that PDANet installed and runs ok, but I can't access the drive!

I also found this article, pertaining to general USB mass storage devices:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/fix-usb-drive-in-xp/

When I went into the disk management my phone shows up, but says it has "No Media".

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones