1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support USB Extension Cord Doesn't Work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rockaholic, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    OK since the charging cable for this is too short, I took it upon myself to buy a USB extension cord. The thing is, it doesn't let it charge. Anyone know if this has to be plugged directly into the Samsung adapter to charge?

Advertisement

2. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    I have heard that some of those types of cords do not have the ability to support devices that need USB power, so it would seem to make sense that they would also not be able to charge. I suggest buying a new charger with a longer cord. There are typically many options on sites like Buy.com, Newegg, etc. I would avoid eBay though. There are just too many scams going through it anymore.

3. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    it works for me just fine. i have two approx. 2-3' extension cords and have string them together and they work. what i find is the charging is slower the longer the extension. i have since removed the second extension and it's charging just fine with the one.

by the way, i use the extension with the usb adapter for ease of use and that works just fine, too.

it might be your extension cable is not compatible? i have no idea how it would not be.

4. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    I believe that not all have the connections for the powering. It is often a case of you get what you pay for. I have one that came free with a hub and it cannot provide power to demanding accessories. Only card readers and self powered devices work with it. I have one I bought that works just fine. From what I can tell, it is hard to look at packaging and know if it will work.