• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Usb file format had to be fat32

argedion

The TechnoFrog
Jun 20, 2011
The Infernal Swamp
I hooked up my USB to my nexus running Dirty Unicorn:
DU_grouper_5.0.2_20150208-1956.v9.1-OFFICIAL

Since I don't own a Windows System I never use a Fat or NTFS format for my stuff. I recently decided to take the tablet and just make a media tablet with it. I have 32gig version so plenty of space with an extra USB drive to do media. Play Music along with Music not in my Play collection and of course movies and videos are the only files that will be on the tablet. I have put a bare install on it for gapps giving me just the essentials to run the basic google services needed. But anyways long story short. I had my USB formatted to ext4 as I normally keep them hooked it up to my Nexus 7 with my OTG cable and It showed that it was scanning the media and then I went to try and play a song but could not find the usb. I searched ES File Explorer looking for it and found a shortcut but no actual USB mount where my files were. The shortcut went to an empty directory. So I went to settings to the storage area and checked to see if My usb was mounted It was not I tapped the mount usb and It would not mount it. I rebooted with the usb in tact and it still would not mount the drive. It wasn't until after I formatted to Fat32 that it would mount the drive.

Now Keep in mind I have used ext4 on the tabelt before with a USB thumbdrive however It was in TWRP that I had done so. I did a complete wipe and had the ROM and GAPPS on the USB and TWRP installed both great from the ext4 USB. However it was my first attempt doing so on the OS side. I used the OTG cable a few times in the past on other devices/ROMs but never had this issue. The ROM will not mount the USB if its formatted in ext4 it does in Fat32. I find this disappointing considering the ROM is Linux based and not Windows based. But I do know Windows users out number the rest of us so guess I have to deal with that.

So Question Can Someone confirm that this is just a specific issue for this ROM? or is this a Lollipop thing?

Now I have to see if my Nexus 5 is going to do the same thing.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones