1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

usb mass storage now?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by paker, Jul 9, 2013.

1. paker

paker Newbie

I have 2 phones. One is 4.0.4 and the other is 4.2.1. When I connect 4.0.4 to PC, the phone prompts to start PC Companion (software). But when I connect 4.2.1 to PC, the phone pops a button "TURN ON USB MASS STORAGE" Once I touch the button, I can browse both the phone memory and SD card. I can move files between PC and SD card. Is this a standard feature of 4.2.1? I just wonder if I can get the same feature once I upgrade the other phone to 4.2.1. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I thought 4.0.4 and 4.2.1 used MTP to connect as a Media Device rather than supporting Mass Storage - that's kinda old skool which basically connects your internal storage to the PC as an external drive while making it unavailable to the phone.

Has the phone been rooted, maybe ..?

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

No, USB mass storage is not a standard feature anymore. Sony still adds it to their phones though. It would really help if people mention their phones.

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

MTP is great and all..... until you use an OS other than Windows. Then you appreciate having the choice.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Google has an Android File Transfer app for Mac OSX. Works nicely on mine, though I've heard that it doesn't for everyone.

It's well beyond ironic how poorly android supports file transfer to Linux. USB mass storage definitely had it's merits!

6. paker

paker Newbie

If USB MASS STORAGE didn't come with 4.2.1, could it be from one of the apps I downloaded from Google Play? The 3 apps I have are Airdroid, MapFactor navigator, and MySword (Bible program).

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

No an app cant add that to the system. As said before, its ROM level. The manufacturer added it in. What are the devices you own? Specific names.

8. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

I have a SGS4 now and miss the USB Mass Storage selection. (Have it on my Atrix 4G) It made it easier to transfer pictures from my phone to computer using the Kodak program. Now I have to save the files to a folder I created on the computers desktop, open the Kodak program, then select that folder with the pictures in it. But I do like the fact that I can still use the stuff on the internal storage and SD card though.

9. paker

paker Newbie

It is ThL W100, a Chinese phone, not a top tier Chinese. I tested it with and without Airdroid. I uninstalled Airdroid, and the phone didn't pop "Turn on USB Mass Storage". Reinstalled Airdroid, and the phone popped the message.

By the way, my PC's are Ubuntu (Linux), not Windows.

I will install Airdroid on 4.0.4 (Sony Xperia Arc) and see if I get the same prompt.