1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support USB mass storage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Potere, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Potere

Potere Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Is it normal to have to power off/on to get the what appears to be the SD card to show up in Windows File Explorer?

2. Is bluetooth the right folder to put sound files in from the PC in order to use them as Notification sounds?

thanx

EDIT: well, bluetooth is not the right folder. I ask because on Moto's website it says to get a sound file for notifications onto the droid from the PC, use USB mass storage and

• Follow this file path to paste the music file you wish to copy over as your message notification ringtone: MEDIA>audio>notifications
    • Paste file you want as a ringtone into notifications folder.
    but there is no MEDIA folder, in fact the icon for the droid is not there, this is what I get now:

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Potere

Potere Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    It was showing a cell phone icon earlier today (just once though) and there were a few folders in it like bluetooth but now this is all you get after power on/off/on of the droid.

I noticed on power up, the status or notification line briefly says something like "preparing SDcard.." but I think that just means it's taking the SDcard out of use on the phone so it can be used for file transferring.

So, how do I get the SDcard to show up on XP?

3. Potere

Potere Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    this is the other directory tree I get, neither of these have any folder named "media" nor "notifications" though. This is 2.2.1, phone is 3 days old. Have connected the phone to 2 XP machines with this result.
    Can someone post what they see w/ USB mass storage? Does it include a folder "media"?

Attached Files:

4. Potere

Potere Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    from the Tips section on this forum (thx moderators!)

A. Adding Ringtones, Alarms, and Notifications
    1. On your SD card make a folder called Media (if it's already there skip step)
    2. In the media folder make a folder called audio
    3. In the audio folder make a folder called "ringtones", "alarms", and "notifications"
    4. Put any ringtones that you want in these folders.

The phone does NOT come with the folder "media" (and the others below it), you have to create it either via Files on the phone itself or via File Manager in Windows after connecting as "USB Mass Storage" device

AND!!!

you cannot see the files (sounds) you put in those created folders if the phone is connected to a computer, the SD card is not available to view or access on the phone then which makes sense; you should only be able to mess with folders from 1 source at a time to avoid problems with overwriting files