1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB 'Mode' for Car Stereo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mania112, May 17, 2011.

1. mania112

mania112 Lurker

With the Galaxy S2 is there a way to force the phone into a USB mode whereby my car stereo can read and play mp3's.

I have an Alpine IDA X-100 which although designed for iPhone does play music off a usb stick.

Any help greatly received, so thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member

From the UK user's manual pg. 112:

1. In idle mode, open the application list & select Settings/Wireless & Network/USB Utilities/Connect storage to PC.
    2. Select OK to confirm
    3. Connect the SGS2 to the PC (or stereo in your case)
    4. When connected, select Connect USB storage
    5. Select OK to confirm.

You should now be connected to your stereo & its controls should let you browse through the folders on the card. Note that the card will probably have to be formatted as FAT32 as opposed to efs or whatever the SGS2 uses as its native filesystem.

mania112 likes this.
  3. mania112

mania112 Lurker

awesome! so are you saying it's therefore only possible by having a SD card to format FAT32?

EDIT: and also, would i lose functionality of the phone, for sat nav, for example?

4. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert

Good cards come pre-formatted as FAT32, so you shouldn't have to format anything.
    SGII has EXT4 or something as it's filesystem, and supports FAT32 cards, if the card isn't FAT32, the phone will ask if you want it to format it for you (this will wipe all data of course)

mania112 likes this.
  5. mania112

mania112 Lurker

Thanks. Will i lose other functions of the phone when in this mode?

6. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert

No idea

7. akt4rgtr

akt4rgtr Lurker

I use this feature all the time to play music via my car stereo and can confirm that you will loose the function of any apps that you have stored on the SD card memory. It will normally give you a message (on the phone screen) when you connect to the USB stating that some features of an app have been disabled. Another way to check is to view your apps screen menu when connected, you will notice that some of the apps are no longer present.

I've came from a HTC desire to the Galaxy S2 and I think the software HTC employs to connect to USB is much slicker. It allows you to select a default setting or ask which function you'd like whenever you connect to a USB. Samsung should really has a similar feature because at the moment it takes a few too many touches of the screen to USB connection for mass storage.

8. mania112

mania112 Lurker

I've just come home and tried it out.

It works!

playing music thru my phone on the car stereo, then I have full access to 'Voice Talk' which covers everything you need for driving.

the only negative is that the voice apps don't connect to the car speakers, but i didn't expect them to.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews