1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB mode manager is gone....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by garybeck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. garybeck

garybeck Android Enthusiast

Before I rooted my phone, whenever I connected via USB to a computer, a screen would pop up on the phone asking me if I want to go into USB mode. If I said yes, the computer would recognize the phone, and I could easily drag/drop/copy files. If I said no, the phone would charge via the usb cable and that was it.

I could also switch back and forth between usb mode any time I wanted, on the status page where it lists updates.

since I rooted, the popup is gone and there is nothing on the status page. When I connect the phone to the computer, I am not prompted to choose which mode I want. I have no way to get into USB mode and transfer files.

I looked all through the settings and can't find a way to enable usb mode or anything related.

please help! I need to copy some files over.

thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

It happens sometimes on custom ROM's. Go to menu\settings\applications\development and turn USB debugging on, then as fast as you can turn it off and back on again. Then plug into PC. This should put the USB info boxes in your pulldown and the icon in the taskbar.
    If not, try turning off phone and plugging into PC, then turn on phone.

3. garybeck

thanks for the reply. I do not have "USB debugging" in the "development" section of the settings. there is "Android Debugging" though. Should I try that?

4. AndyOpie150

Hmmm? If you have this Android Debugging, Stay Awake and Allow Mock Locations as the three options then Android Debugging should be the same as USB Debugging. If so: Yes

5. garybeck

OK.... nothing seems to help....

I do have "Stay Awake" and "Allow Mock Locations." These are independent of the Android Debugging, not sub-level under it.

when I check the box for Android debugging, a popup appears asking me if I want USB debugging enabled.

I have tried turning this on and off several times. I do not get prompted for USB mode when I connect to a PC, regardless of this setting. Not the popup I used to get whenever I connected, and nothing in the task page. The PC recognizes the device is connected and asks if I want to search Windows Update for the driver. I never needed to do this before so I say no. Then I get nothing. the battery gets charged but nothing else.

HELP!?!?!?!

6. AndyOpie150

Turn phone off and plug in to PC. Then turn phone on. If that still doesn't work try pulling USB cable out and back in as fast as you can then check to see if the USB symbol is in the task bar of the phone.
    If still no go try deleting the LG USB drivers. Unplug Phone. Install a fresh set. Once installed reboot PC to allow the install of the other two, then try and plug phone into PC to finish install of drivers.

7. riggerman0421

riggerman0421 Well-Known Member

I'm betting when you rooted, you also installed a new custom Rom. From the sound of your problem either an IHO gingerbread or an ICS Rom. You will need to install the usb drivers to be able to turn on usb mass storage mode. You can get them the LG website.

8. garybeck

Yes I did install the IHO. to be honest I still don't really understand the difference between rooting, flashing, and installing a ROM. I was just following the step-by-step instructions for rooting and I ended up with the IHO when I was done. I asked on the forum and was told I had to follow each step or I wouldn't be able to take full control over my phone, especially the main thing I wanted to do -- be able to move all my apps to the SD card.

I believe I did install the LG apps, as part of the process. I guess I will try to reinstall them.

thanks

9. garybeck

I just noticed this on the IHO Backside instructions:

-------------------------
    Known Bugs
    Fixed 07212011 USB Mass Storage is not working, you will have to use ADB or put your sdcard in another device for file transfers
    -------------------------

Even though I did all this much more recently than 7/11, I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with it. should I try updating my IHO backside with the updater app ?

10. AndyOpie150

If you have a good recovery, just install a Froyo ROM like Resurrected Bumblebee or Harmonia. If your USB file transfer now works, the problem was with the version of BACKside you where using.

In my opinion the 01312012 build of the BACKside is the best version JerryScript came out with. Go to the BACKside thread and go to the pages with posts from that date. You will see where JerryScript posted the download link to that build (just tested last week and you can still download it)

Go to the All Things Root Guide sticky/Tools & Utilities, near the bottom you will find the drivers. Remember to reboot right after installing the drivers to allow for the install of the other two.

11. garybeck

Thanks for your help... however:

a) I believe I have a good recovery image because that was part of the instructions I followed when I rooted my phone... but I don't know where to get Froyo or Bumblebee or Harmonia.... and I don't really know how to install them properly.

b) I could try installing that 01312012 version of Backside if you think that is better than what I have. the one I have is the most current version. I ran the updater app and it said I have the most current. Still, to install that version you recommend I would need some instructions.

c) I have tried several times now to install the drivers. But every time the same thing happens. First I install the tool. then the tool won't let me install the drivers because it doesn't recognize that the phone is connected to the computer. It says "please connect your phone" even though it's already connected. I have tried un/re plugging and all sorts of things but it never recognizes that the phone is there. Is there any way to install the USB driver without using the LG tool?

thanks

12. AndyOpie150

Everything you need is in the All Things Root Guide sticky (including the Guide for how to flash/install a flash_image,recovery, and ROM), except for the 01312012 build of the BACKside ROM which is on the page of the BACKside thread with the date of the posts for the 31st of January.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews